Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 23 Sep 2018 08:11

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1.5 Way LSD
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2017 14:25 

Hi guys, am new to this forum. Lots of informative threads, thank you very much to the contributors!

Am currently on a Mitsubishi 4G18, small power motor. Mated to a F5M421Y8A7 with an aftermarket LSD. Have no idea what LSD it is, apart for the fact that its either semi lock or full lock. Suspected to be Cusco due to the immense chatter.

Will be changing out the gearbox oil to something more suitable for clutch type LSD later as i suspected the workshop poured in normal gear oil without any friction modifiers.

Car is a real hassle to drive now:

- At low speed turns, there's tons of clunking/clicking sound
- Even at low speed 90 degree left and right handles, tires are chirping
- Mild corners at ~60km/h, LSD seem to engage/disengage even without any throttle differences. Midway through corner, occasionally there is a clunk and the car seems to alternate between holding the line and mild oversteer.
- Sound is definitely from the LSD or gearbox, tried it with clutch in and no sound whatsoever.

Anyone has any prior experience on this? Could it be a simple case of there not being any friction modifier in the gearbox and clutch pads in LSD are binding? Or torque settings too high on the LSD, or worse case scenario, LSD is shot?

Gearbox came off another daily drive car according to the workshop, hence my guess that the torque settings could not have been so high in the first place, the previous owner would have cursed and swore each time he drove.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: 1.5 Way LSD
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2017 14:19 

I had the same experience with my clutch type LSD.

What I did:
Replaced the oil with high grade GL4 (do not use GL5) and added clutch type LSD friction modifiers.
From memory both were Redline brand.

This made it immensely better and got rid of most of the annoying noises but it's still not a factory feel in any way.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018 16:07 

Sounds like a really good LSD to me :D

Exactly the same symptoms i get with mine, nothing wrong with it, just enjoy the grip, personally i wouldnt put any additives, no good on the clutches, imagine that with no power steering as thats what i run :lol:

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2018 09:01 

If it's chattering that much it's probably been installed at 100% lock which is how they come from factory. I run a cusco 1 way at 80% lock 45degree ramp angle with all the centre springs in. Works really well, and only the odd clunk on full lock. I can send you the workshop diagram if you're going to take it apart and reset it. Gear oil wise I use motul 300ls 75 90w.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018 15:15 

Same oil as i run :D