Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 20 Jul 2018 06:41

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2017 17:05 

Good stuff... 8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2018 00:08 

Hi guys, been more than a year from my last update, so will post from where I last left off :lol:

Here's my ebay special GREX-style copy oil cooler adapter with built in thermostat

Need to be really careful with these ebay special stuff as mine came with the thermostat installed wrongly, after correcting it, it looks like this. Luckily I did not install immediately else it would probably mean extremely limited oil flow into the engine.

Banggood special EGT thermocouple also arrived and fits nicely in the turbo hole. Need to monitor EGT's to prevent engine meltdown

K20 coils sourced and fits nicely after some minor cutting

Got a mint condition Evo 4 intercooler :twisted:

Have to modify the clutch pump mounting point to prevent blocking the turbo inlet

Engine ready to go in!

And it fits in nicely

Wired up the coils

My custom turbo manifold arrives

And I shall continue this in the next part...

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2018 00:17 

Continued...

After some measuring and cutting and welding and repeating of the manifold, finally got the turbo to sit just right, ever so close but never touching the radiator

Look how close that actuator lever is to the radiator!

Radiator is a (i assume) China 'SARD' thick radiator, and also got a used Maradyne fan off my friend, also made a heatshield for the turbo hot section to prevent it heating up my a/c compressor, radiator and other components

Heatshield for the turbo

Speaking of actuators, my original actuator was leaking so had to source for a replacement, got another ebay-special Kinugawa adjustable wastegate actuator and is pretty decent quality

After installing the actuator

Beefy large diameter steel braided hose for the turbo oil return, and intercooler piping in the makes

How it looks like at this point now (circa November 2016)

And to be continued....

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2018 21:41 

Sorry for updating the post halfway, was slightly busy the past couple of days.

My midbox, or some call it resonator? 3" straight flow large size for quiet

JDM Tanabe Hyper Medallion 3" straight flow muffler, taken off from some Subaru if not mistaken, also chosen for quietness.

Intercooler pipe taking shape, and oil cooler sandwich plate installed.

Intercooler and exhaust piping next to each other, later on I wrapped the exhaust pipe with exhaust wrap.

Oil cooler adapter plate

3" stainless steel exhaust, wrapped the length that passes under the oil sump to prevent heating the oil sump.

Oil cooler lines installed.

The Hyper Medallion looking good

Rats invaded my wiring halfway and had to redo my coil wiring.

Air filter and intercooler pipes gonna take up the space where the battery originally was, so gotta shift the battery to the back. Chosen this MSB VRLA AGM Lead Acid 65AH deep discharge battery designed for backup power industrial use as my main battery. It is truly sealed compared to your regular 'sealed' battery which may still emit hydrogen gas and should also last longer than the average car battery.

For the main cable, chose this 70mm^2 welding cable, equivalent roughly to 2/0 gauge. All of my friends were telling me I was crazy for using this diameter cable for this purpose :lol:

Measured the length properly and got it professionally crimped

Put in some braided sleeves and triple layer'd braided sleeves for areas where I consider might be higher risk

Battery mounted in the boot, with the positive going straight to the front while the negative goes to a 150A circuit breaker.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2018 22:27 

Swapped the oil cooler to one from a Pajero(I think) as I found out later my Evo oil cooler was leaking, also installed an oil cooler fan, which till today, I had still yet to wire up :lol:

And since this project took so damn long, the internals started to rust without me realising, eventhough I had poured oil on the cams and cranked the engine over a couple of times to let the oil flow before I installed everything, so the cams and rockers had to come out for another overhaul session.

After cleaning out the rust, some parts of the cams had pretty severe pittings. Quite sad as these are RS cams, but I can't do anything about it :(

All clean and re-lubed

Reinstalled the upper head and spray painted the cam cover, intercooler piping still on the way, air box for air filter also in the makes.

Got me an old stock Turbosmart FPR 800 v1, which ultimately would be replaced by the latest FPR 800 as this v1 had a problem of dropping fuel pressure as my RPM climbs for some odd reason.

Some wiring works on my MS3x wiring adding the MIVEC output, coil output and some other outputs. Out of sight, out of mind yeah? 8)

Got almost everything done, engine bay shot now. Aircond and power steering pipes and hoses had to be custom done to fit. And the car runs!

Feels so good to be finally able to drive the car

Got a pretty mint Synapse Synchronic BOV to replace the stock Evo plastic BOV

BOV output recirculates to the inlet

Replaced the V1 FPR 800 with the latest FPR 800, fuel pressure remains steady at all RPMs

Latest engine bay shot

Replaced my 7-year old Walbro fuel pump with a DW200 for reliability sake as the Walbro's are known to seize at times when it's older, leaving me stranded. Already happened once.

Also purchased a brand new oil pump from Amayama as these Mitsubishi oil pumps have quite a bad reputation of killing itself plus I am not sure of the past history of my current oil pump nor did I open it to inspect before installation. Will install this during my next oil change.

Some basic on the road tuning and the engine feels pretty good, revs up to 8400rpm nicely and was boosting at 0.5bar, just today I increased it to 0.8bar and it feels awesome!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2018 22:34 

Some photos of the car currently. Nothing special, but I'd say it's quite the sleeper, minus the Evo intercooler poking through the bumper :lol:

Now on my to-do list would be upgraded brakes and repaint the car. Probably upgrade to larger rims in the future, but engine wise everything seems good. Long ratio gearbox cruises at 110kmh @ 2700rpm and 2nd gear tops out at 130kmh @ 8400rpm. Somewhere in the future would rent a dyno and give it a final tune and probably increase boost to 1.2bar. Current estimate is around 200-250hp at 0.8bar probably. It is currently my daily driver, so far clocked around 5000-6000km already and am running Amsoil Signature 5w50 oil after the initial 1000km run in with Amsoil run-in oil.

And this concludes my engine build. Hopefully this will be the last time the engine needs to be worked on :lol:

Thank you for your patience and support so far, and also thank you to this forum for still existing when most forums are closing down and shifting to Facebook instead. I really hope this forum will not end up like that.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2018 08:42 

Great stuff Nightstalker.

Kinda strange, those rusted internals...

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018 21:29 

morpheus23 wrote:
Great stuff Nightstalker.

Kinda strange, those rusted internals...

Yes it is indeed strange. I remembered clearly pouring a bottle of engine oil over the whole cam before i installed the cam cover, but it seems somehow the rust buildup is only on the part of the cams that are facing upwards. So my guess is somehow water or moisture got into the cam cover and got trapped there and caused it. Malaysia is a pretty humid country so yeah...

Some updates, went for a drive recently and my power steering fluid overheated! It was boiling over and spilling out everywhere when I reached my destination up the hill(it's a drive up Genting Highlands)

The fluid was showing 130c right after I stopped and the power steering pump sounded like I had a supercharger as I revved the engine, until the fluid cooled enough

Will have to install a Power Steering fluid cooler seeing how the original Lancer CK4A Mivec RS actually came with a power steering cooler :o

Also wrapped some of the water hoses for the turbo in some heat-resistant sheath as it is pretty near the hot manifold.

Also custom made a new heat shield for the manifold to keep my under-bonnet temps down

The part of the heatshield touching the radiator hose had been fixed, went back to the fabricator a few days later and got it cut and patched up so that it does not contact the hose.

Currently boosting 0.8bar and seems pretty good. Fuel efficiency is at around 12+km/l on 90% highway cruising at mostly 110kmh with slight traffic jam, but town driving nets me a pretty bad 7-8km/l but am still experimenting with the ignition timing to see if I can improve the fuel consumption further.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018 01:53 

Very nice work there. Must be lots of fun to drive

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018 03:16 

Spetz wrote:
Very nice work there. Must be lots of fun to drive

Thanks! Yes it is pretty good to drive, even for daily driving, minus the LSD chatter, but highway cruising is pretty comfortable cruising 110kmh at 2700rpm. Spirited driving is also pretty decent but need to get used to the LSD, really forces you to change your driving style as opposed to if you're using open diff. My car isn't suitable for gymkhana or grassroots motorsports though as the gap between 1st and 2nd gear is too wide, as you shift into 2nd from 8400rpm in 1st, the RPM drops to 4500rpm. Full boost now at 0.8bar comes in as early as 3500rpm at the higher gears all the way to 8400rpm :roll:

Target is to have fun in Sepang track which it should be pretty nice to drive there.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018 23:42 

What oil are you using in your gearbox?
I used Redline friction modifier with my clutch type LSD and it has made it much better.

Also I have a CJ4A transmission and 1st to 2nd at 8,000rpm brings me into MIVEC range I am quite sure because 1st is longer

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2018 02:33 

Spetz wrote:
What oil are you using in your gearbox?
I used Redline friction modifier with my clutch type LSD and it has made it much better.

Also I have a CJ4A transmission and 1st to 2nd at 8,000rpm brings me into MIVEC range I am quite sure because 1st is longer

I'm using Amsoil GL-4 75W90 transmission oil and Amsoil Slip-Lock and the Slip-Lock additive did help the chatter tremendously, but still not exactly butter smooth. Before adding the slip-lock the LSD was literally lock or no lock, but sometimes when the oil gets into the plates enough, the LSD is ultra-smooth, as if you're on a standard diff. Am contemplating to get the Cusco Mission Oil 75w85 GL-4 but not sure if it will really solve my problem or not as it is quite pricey to obtain. :?

CJ4A gearbox as in which one? Mine was from a 4g93 SOHC model, not sure which chassis, and 1st gear rev to 8400 when shift to 2nd, would be at 4500+ rpm or so :cry:

Anyway I actually emailed Amsoil regarding my case and they replied me basically saying they don't have a product to recommend me 100% and that the problem is more to the oil not getting into the plates. Quoted is the full reply from Amsoil.

Quote:
Hong,

Thank you for taking the time to contact AMSOIL with your questions.

First, AMSOIL does not recommend any fluids for the manual transmissions on Mitsubishi Lancer applications. AMSOIL really does not offer any suggestions on how to improve the performance of this transmission since we have not offered a lubricant specific to this model transmission.

The Slip Lock Limited Slip Additive (ADA) is compatible with the API GL-4 Manual Transmission Gear Oil (MTG). Since the MTG does not contain any LSD additives, the ADA will reduce chatter. It appears that the temperature, and viscosity of the oil, may be another issue. It is possible the SAE 75W-90 viscosity is too thick when cold, and is not flowing back into the clutch plates as easily until it warms up. A lot of time the carrier assembly where the LSD clutches are located does not allow for oil to flow back very easily. Once the fluid warms up, it flows easier back into the clutches. Most OEMs specify an SAE 75W, or SAE 80W viscosity grade for these transmissions, which AMSOIL does not offer.

We hope this is helpful.

Darryn Wallace

Technical Service Representative

dwallace@amsoil.com

Phone: 715-392-7101 ext. 6094