Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 24 Sep 2018 18:36

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1996 Red Mirage RS
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2013 21:19 

magn1t wrote:
Cameron wrote:
and rocker cover now has no baffles and dash fittings welded into it, so i have completely done away with the PCV setup, hopefully engine will be back in the mirage in a few weeks. :D

Like everything, the PCV system is there for a reason. I'd never do that to my own car.
I see you've driven it on the road. Have you checked the oil recently?
The problem with doing away with the PCV system is that the oil gets contaminated very quickly with water and fuel. Sure it's OK for a race car where the oil gets changed after every event, road cars with no proper crankcase ventilation can do a lot of internal damage quite quickly without very regular changes. Cold running makes it worse. Oil / water / fuel isn't good oil.
"Proper" racecars (V8s) use a venturi connected to the exhaust to provide a vacuum to suck the contaminants out of the sump. Fresh air in and fuel / water vapour out. Otherwise they use a dry sump which solves the problem in another way. Some racecars even use a mechanical vacuum pump connected to the sump, that does 2 things, the other being that you get more HP (free HP) by reducing the windage losses inside the sump because it's at lower pressure.
Most of the performance shops are pretty clueless when it comes to the finer points of "tuning". Ongoing work for them ?
Try giving your oil the "sniff test"
There's plenty on the interweb of course, you've just got to know what to google for.
Most of it is written by kids with a mental age of 5 but this is worthwhile reading.

http://www.shophemi.com/images/media/p- ... _bible.pdf

Steve

Yeah but Steve, lets be honest you wouldnt do a modification to your car that actually costs money! My car is a proper Race Car, i didnt put a cage in it to feel safer going to the supermarket, it will get fresh oil and filter everytime it gets raced, i personally think its criminal what you have done to your GTO but thats me, without actually coming up with actual results please just keep your random comments to yourself on this build or ill just take it off, we dont need drama.

Samurai Blues, EVO 4-6 rear shocks are quite a bit longer, running them in a mirage if you had EVO 4-6 coilovers and factory mirage arms on the lowest setting you would still be quite high, from memory 20mm gap between tyre and arch, best thing to do is get EVO 3 rear coilovers they work mint, or do what i did and get custom rear arms, they work well in my car but like everything they have a cost, all custom work does unfortunatly

Post subject: Re: 1996 Red Mirage RS
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2013 21:45 

Cameron wrote:
Cameron wrote:
Samurai Blues, EVO 4-6 rear shocks are quite a bit longer, running them in a mirage if you had EVO 4-6 coilovers and factory mirage arms on the lowest setting you would still be quite high, from memory 20mm gap between tyre and arch, best thing to do is get EVO 3 rear coilovers they work mint, or do what i did and get custom rear arms, they work well in my car but like everything they have a cost, all custom work does unfortunatly

Hey Cam thanks for clearing that mindblock out for me. That confirms my suspicions. To be quite frank i was making plans to borrow a set of used BC coilovers from an Evo6 to make measurements!

I am actually running Tein Super Streets for Gen2... but being 2 years old... i dunno how long more till they leak and i do not wish to have them rebuilt. The local Tein distributor and rebuilder... i don't like their work. And you gonna be hard pressed to find new and decent suspension for Gen2 or EvoIII so......

Anyways i already have the intent to have custom arms made. How else to mount the rear Evo456789 coilovers lol. Just wondering if i can get away with the custom lower mount part; it is lower than an original evo arm right? From eyeballing it seems that way. Or you could do me a favour and point me to the direction of your fabricator? *perhaps PM me* You still can use the OEM anti roll bar yes?

Thank you!

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2013 18:40 

how was the stm track day today

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2013 21:22 

Don't ask, there is now some fixing to do :(

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2013 21:43 

oh bummer gutted i couldnt get out there today

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2013 19:47 

I plan to be back out there, would have been a good day to watch, was a busy day :D

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2013 08:09 

Very small update, I have the mirage back and its 90% fixed, I ended up cooking the oil, engine has the factory water to oil cooler but due to the exhaust running over top of it now with the reversed head it wasn't really working well, unfortunately I only had an oil pressure gauge and not an oil temp gauge as well.

Anyways such is the joys of building a race car hindsight is a wonderful thing, now it sports a large external oil cooler :D

Ive got to assemble all the external engine bits then the mirage will be back and running, thanks to chook and his Dad Alan for sorting once again :D

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013 02:11 

Cameron wrote:
Very small update, I have the mirage back and its 90% fixed, I ended up cooking the oil, engine has the factory water to oil cooler but due to the exhaust running over top of it now with the reversed head it wasn't really working well, unfortunately I only had an oil pressure gauge and not an oil temp gauge as well.

Anyways such is the joys of building a race car hindsight is a wonderful thing, now it sports a large external oil cooler :D

Ive got to assemble all the external engine bits then the mirage will be back and running, thanks to chook and his Dad Alan for sorting once again :D

I can imagine that :mrgreen: my civic with 13:1 compression can only do like 15 min ok 9 K reving and oil temp is going up to 140 C :mrgreen: but it's only a street car so it wouldn't last more than 2 laps on the track without a cooler.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2013 21:56 

Thought I would post up an update, as its been ages, been having quite a few teething problems with the engine, mainly due to it being on the edge of what it can handle I think, so far in the short time its been on the track its managed to overheat the oil, crack all the welds in the airbox, thrown the throttle linkage off and managed to get the flywheel loose, we think this is mainly due to the harmonics of the engine, im just about to put the factory crank pulley on to try and dampen this down, we think the large cams are to blame as the previous engine was fine, so ive fitted an oil cooler and completely changed the throttle linkage, obviously we put a new set of bearings in and it ended up damaging the cam tray and tickled up a spot on the exhaust cam.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2013 00:11 

Very nice . I have overheated power steering coolant last time so I need a cooler for that as well. :roll:

How many rows is the oil cooler ?, it looks a bit small to me :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2013 00:29 

Yeah the mirages are pretty hard on power steering without a cooler, that's why all RS got one, I run manual steering so thankfully I don't have to worry about that, running out of room to mount coolers now :lol:

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2013 22:22 

I run manual rack on Cyborg now too, but I don't like it.

It's my daily car so the steering is to heavy. But during winter time will install hydraulic rack with mr2 pump. Already bought a cooler and a pump :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2013 09:52 

Thought I would post up the Dyno sheet on the new engine if anyone is interested, below this is how the car is at the moment, will be getting into making a splitter and full rear diffuser early next year :D

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2013 01:29 

The car is looking amazing as ever! One question, does the oil cooler and remote oil filter not drop the oil pressure too much? What kit did you use?

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2013 12:03 

Thanks, no the kit doesn't drop oil pressure at all on my engine, that's in comparison on my oil pressure gauge from before I had the kit fitted, it seems to run about 25-30psi at idle and cruising around at 3k rpm it seems to average 60ish psi :D

But I do have a 3Litre sump so it may be a bit lower pressure than a factory engine but it should be minimal. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next