Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 19 Aug 2018 22:59

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailing arm bushes
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2013 13:48 

Hi all,

Just a quick question.

My car has failed its WOF today for worn trailing arm bushes.
I suggested to the mechanic that seen as they are worn he may as well chuck nolathane ones in there. He went on about poor ride quality, its just on public roads etc etc.
Just wondering, I probably do 99% of my driving on the road around town and with the odd track day. However I do want to upgrade my car performance wise.

Whats best for me... Nolathane or just standard replacements?

Also how hard is it to replace them? Is it something I can do in my garage with a mallet, or would it require a press?

Thanks in advance!
James

Post subject: Re: Trailing arm bushes
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2013 15:18 

As your mechanic said, it depends on your requirements/preferences. Solid poly bushes won't flex & absorb as much initial shock as the rubber non-solid bushes. If your shocks & springs set up is already hard, you can expect to be bouncing off the road on rougher surfaces, reducing ride quality as mentioned and even reducing the handling due to an overly harsh set up for road conditions and reduced dampening effect.
So really depends on your current set up. If you don't want your suspension any harsher, stay with the rubber. If you don't mind firming up the rear a little, go with the Nolothane.

Replacement requires a press.

Have you brake effort figures from the WOF & known discs/pads by any chance to post on here?
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10736&p=74311&hilit=effort#p74311

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2013 18:10 

The main arm bush at the front is soft so you can adjust the rear camber. A solid bush is not a good idea the alloy and sperical bearing is best.

As the rear wheel travels up the camber changes so that bush gets a lot of wear.

Nearly all the other bushes can be NolaThane.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2013 08:37 

Great, thanks for the help guys. I have a thing about trusting mechanics... I can't!

Mitsubicthy, I'm sorry I'm not 100% sure what pads & rotors are as I have never replaced them. Also the WOF sheet read 98%. So whatever that means to you!?

Cheers, James.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2013 09:24 

Well mechanics are only human after all and not many like to admit that they don't know things in many cases, but that one probably had a bad experience with making a car too harsh with nolothane parts.

Never seen a WOF test sheet, but 98% most likely refers to the braking force relative to the vehicle weight is my guess.
Must be very good brakes on that car?

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2013 15:22 

Mitsubitchy wrote:
Well mechanics are only human after all and not many like to admit that they don't know things in many cases, but that one probably had a bad experience with making a car too harsh with nolothane parts.

Never seen a WOF test sheet, but 98% most likely refers to the braking force relative to the vehicle weight is my guess.
Must be very good brakes on that car?

Oh yes sorry, didn't look at your location until you said that.
Haha they do seem good, but wouldn't say any more than anything else I've driven.