Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 23 Jan 2018 22:27

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Could you???.....
PostPosted: 04 May 2007 05:05 
just wondering i have a laptop, could you get a wire that could connect the laptop to the car to read engine codes and other diagnostics???

theres probaly a program out there???

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 May 2007 09:29 

there are a few actually.

the diag code are always flashed out on the CEL(check engine light) on the dash though. You short the diag pin to ground and all the ECU's flash the code.

Gen1 or gen2 car?

Either way I use evoscan and cable from the guy wrote it. Its a common cable design so works with the other software as well. http://www.limitless.co.nz/cables/

The 1.4e can only read/log ecu data and codes. There are dozens of data channels you can view/log including fuel trims and the o2 sensor.

The 1.3m has extra connector so it can actually write to the ecu and replaace the code in it. The evo7-9 are the only fully supported ones you can write too, as they have the most people decoding them.

The gen1 car has a different connector so you need a different cable. Evoscan may support for the earlier cars now, but i haven't tryed it as i only have the new obd2 cable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 May 2007 09:43 

Mitsucolt guys have been using them over there for a while.

http://www.mitsucolt.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=25131

Maybe someone should do a group buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 May 2007 09:55 
its a gen2, so which cable would i get??? and i suppose i have to get the software aswell,

what can you do with the cable and the program??

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 May 2007 10:34 

The gen2 can't be flashed, so unless you want to flash other cars then the 1.4e cable saves a few $.

The evoscan software is optional, but its the best currently and is being developed constantly. There are other free ones around that you can use, but evoscan is easy and has been getting better in leaps and bounds even over the few months i've been using it.

http://www.limitless.co.nz/evoscan/

heres a log from the older v0.97, open it in excel. the Speed is more like map sensor change. the thing is the stored data has had the formula applied before being saved. http://www.limitless.co.nz/evoscan/images/EvoScan099.gifshows the formula used on some data, but you can edit them if you need to.
http://webhost1.inspire.net.nz/~alphaspr/downloads/ecu/EvoScanDataLog.csv

I will be logging all data channels soon to figure out what everything is for the mivec.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 May 2007 12:22 

Hey Rabbit had a look at the site but could not see if it explicitly supports gen1. I've got a gen 1 1994 so since they say it supports everything after 1994 can I assume this would work for me.
If I got the more expensive cable does it mean that I could flash the chip in situ ?

Cheers ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 May 2007 12:29 
Administrator

No you can't reflash a 1G (any model) thru the diagnostic connector. You can only read diagnostic codes and perhaps 'some' live data but it won't be anywhere near as much as what you can get from the OBDII cars.

Waikato@Heart - supporting heart kids through life
Bart Dinger Electronics

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 May 2007 12:39 

buggar ah well

thanks for the info

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 May 2007 12:53 
Administrator

At least you can replace the eprom on a 1G, the 2G ecus are not 'flash' devices so they probably won't ever get a chip option.

Th 1G at least can have its maps modifed fairly easily.

Waikato@Heart - supporting heart kids through life
Bart Dinger Electronics

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 May 2007 13:14 

Yup gen1 needs a different cable that has a common looking white plug. Its clipped next to the fusebox. Its the same plug as the newer cars have to put then into reflash mode, but not the black obd2 one those cables come with.

I can see why the obd2 cable can not be adapted to the gen1 plug as the inside is mainly a serial to usb convertor. I could ask if you like.

Bart can fit a socket to the gen1 ecu and you can then fit retuned chips whenever you like. In fact yesterday we were talking about how you can actually run 2 roms in the ecu can change them with a switch fitted to the ecu case. One for race or economy and the other as the orginal stock one. Would be a good option for the guys overseas who need to pass emissions test(with the switch hidde inside so no one would know). You could even run the MD and non-MD in an MD car to get power and economy. Would suit 1.8 as well you can run 2 chips to try on the dyno at the same time and then pick the best to save having to go back to the dyno so oftern

The gen2 can be reflashed but no one has bothered to figure out the code to do so. The ecu is the same as the evo 4 one so it was not in the evo long enough to get interest in it. Most are evo guys and just use the 7-9 ecu as they can edit everything in that. the evo5-6 has a direct interface connector next to the main chip on the inside. Mitsi changed to C programming in 1997-98 so that explains the easier hacking of the later evos. also the obd2 rules changed in later years to allow access to the ecu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 May 2007 17:42 
Administrator

Rabbit wrote:
In fact yesterday we were talking about how you can actually run 2 roms in the ecu can change them with a switch fitted to the ecu case. One for race or economy and the other as the orginal stock one.

This may be a stupid question, but could you run like a palm pc and emulate the rom via a cable connection?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 May 2007 18:00 

You can actually buy rom emulators and tune on the fly, yes.

The PC has the maps loaded in tables and 3d views so you can edit them quickly. When you want to change something you just click the button and it sends the change to the emulator and the car gets them from there.

The emulator has a chip on a ribbon cable on one end and the serial port on the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 May 2007 00:06 

last year i was thinking of converting from OBD2 to OBD1 and get it chipped . i was going to custom make common connectors that connects to the original harness and then reorganized to another connector that gets into the gen1 ecu according to the pinouts ........ maybe i'll try it someday ( idea taken from a honda friend )

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 May 2007 00:37 

here's a rough drawing of it but not the actual one . it'll look something like that

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 May 2007 19:39 

Yeah i though about that too, then got a haltech ecu.