Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 27 Apr 2018 13:41

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2017 17:34 

Hi All,

I've just picked up a Cyborg ZR and based on the information on the forums I suspect that it may have oil pressure trouble at higher RPMs.

I just wanted to get others' opinions to confirm whether my suspicions could be right. Please see this video, where I am accelerating from first to second, the limit is hit in second gear when I try and go for the redline.:
https://youtu.be/WhfgcCAhLVg

Here is the suspected cause below, a dented oil pan:

Based on the video, is this generally the behaviour of a low oil pressure problem?

Cheers,

Imran

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017 23:29 
Administrator

As far as I can remember, the issue with the dented oil pan was the lack of pressure to activate the Mivec solenoid. It's a little tricky to tell from the video (i'm so used to mine :lol: ), but are you getting the cam swap at around 5500rpm?

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017 10:21 

Damian wrote:
As far as I can remember, the issue with the dented oil pan was the lack of pressure to activate the Mivec solenoid. It's a little tricky to tell from the video (i'm so used to mine :lol: ), but are you getting the cam swap at around 5500rpm?

Think I can hear a different induction noise around that point - I don't have an aftermarket filter so it's not as noticeable. I'm changing the oil pan today so hopefully that will be the source of the trouble or else I'll need to do a more detailed investigation :? Before that I topped up the oil a little bit more, seemed to push past the initial 7600 RPM, but still didn't reach the redline. So, I'm hoping that indicates it's the oil pan. Let's see how it goes!

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017 18:31 

No change with the new oil pan. Next steps:
  • Mivec light
  • Oil pressure gauge
Hmm, might go with the gauge first.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017 10:39 

Yeah thats just straight no mivec at all in either 1st or 2nd, does it do it once first warmed up? i.e. just as the temp gauge gets to normal it'll go really well with strong pull to redline, and then you'll lose it again once its properly nice and hot, or have you just never had mivec at all? My old gen2 rs used todo what i mentioned and I've also had in in a lancer mr and cyborg zr, so i put a oil pressure gauge in and sure enough it dropped from like 70-30psi when the solenoid opened which pretty much pointed to a worn cam tray leaking the oil so it wasn't enough pressure to correctly operate. Cause oil gets thinner as it gets warmer so thats why it gets worse as the motor and oil got to top temp.

But thats just one theory, yours could be as simple as the mice solenoid is dead or even electrical like the ecu, first thing ild try is unplug the mivec solenoid and put 12v on it while not running and listen for a click, some people go as far as running it off a switch to test it while driving.

I don't suspect its being held back from another unrelated fault as the ecu would bring in the low rev limiter at 6500ish if that was the case

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2017 08:44 

Hey mate, thanks for the feedback. I've just never had Mivec at all. Got my oil pressure gauge, just waiting on a tee adapter for the oil switch port.

From your description, I'm hoping since I've never had Mivec that it's something a bit easier like the Mivec solenoid or the ECU. Might have a go today at measuring the signal from the ECU. In saying that, whatever it will be - getting parts for this engine is quite annoying!

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017 14:35 
Mivec Guru

The dent in the bottom gets blamed all the time.
If the pickup was blocked and caused oil pressure problems, then the idiot light would come on and you'd be destroying big end bearings.

What REALLY happens is that you get sludge deposits in the cam tray.That blocks the oil feed to the plungers.
The fix is to remove the cam tray and cams, clean everything properly and put it back together.

To diagnose it, hook up a voltmeter to the mivec solenoids so you can see that they DO operate.
OR
unplug the solenoid and activate it manually.

It's easier to fool someone than it is to convince someone that they've been fooled.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2017 15:42 

Got some time to myself to continue diagnosing.

The Oil Control Valve (Mivec Solenoid) appears to be operating when the engine is off: Video here: https://youtu.be/XXwusfy8DlA

However, when the engine is running and I do the same test, nothing appears to happen? Does anyone know what this could indicate? I've noted from the FAQ, if we activate the solenoid while the engine is idling, it should at least have a rough idle or even stall? Video here: https://youtu.be/2uKWVHxT2X8

Edit: From reading sounds like I need to do the second test with a cold engine.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2017 10:00 

So, re-did the test Solenoid test while the engine was cold and low and behold the engine stalled :)

Current diagnosis: MIVEC isn't working due to low oil pressure. Cause of the low oil pressure is currently unknown.

Next steps:
  • Install Oil pressure gauge.
  • Strip and clean camshaft holder, oil control valve, etc.

Managed to get myself another 4G92 in case the camshaft holder is the problem. Have a spare solenoid now too.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2017 20:47 

Just going back to the sump dent. I brought a CJ Mirage last week that wouldn't rev over 7000rpm, checked the sump which had a slight sent so thought I'd start there been a easy job and was changing the oil anyway. Once the sump was off there was a clear imprint of where the pickup was touching the sump! Hammered it out and wow no problem revving out to red line! Give it a go if you haven't already.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2017 20:52 

Toymota2 wrote:
Just going back to the sump dent. I brought a CJ Mirage last week that wouldn't rev over 7000rpm, checked the sump which had a slight sent so thought I'd start there been a easy job and was changing the oil anyway. Once the sump was off there was a clear imprint of where the pickup was touching the sump! Hammered it out and wow no problem revving out to red line! Give it a go if you haven't already.

Cheers mate, might have to pull it off and have a look. What did you end up getting? Was it on trademe? We should have a meet up I think we're the only active members rofl.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2017 21:38 

No worries, I didn't think it would fix the problem until the sump was off and saw it was touching. It's a CJ hatch, picked it up quite cheap through a guy I know that used it for a couple hill climbs. I didn't even realise mivec wasn't working properly until I was driving it home... oops. Yea it doesn't look like much has been posted on these pages for a while, maybe all the og members card have died haha. I'm planning to use mine for Track days once I've tidied up a few things.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2017 23:10 

Yip, take the pan off and either hammer gently. Or snip a slot up the side of the pickup so it can never happen again.
Don't worry about a tee in oil line, you don't need one while you have the gauge for testing.
Think it's about 60-80 psi non mivec and over 100 with it.
My RX was reading off the gauge I had.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2017 10:25 

Oh, it's definitely not the pan. I replaced it with a new one.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2017 10:27 

I want to see what diagnostic codes are showing. The car is a 1995 model, I'm assuming this won't be OBD2? I tried using an OBD2 connector I have but it didn't seem to work (have tried it in newer cars).