Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 19 Nov 2018 00:58

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2016 01:16 

Hello there! I first will introduce myself. I'm Bram from the Netherlnds and bought an Outlander 4 months ago with a full alloy 4n14 177Bhp Diesel engine. I needed this car to pull a big trailer with my sleddogs trough snow and slippery roads in the mountains.

I must say that the car has a really good engine and good fourwheel drive system because I haven't had any slippery moments with it this season.

But after a few months of driving it strikes me that the engine is not very consistant in Noise fuelconsumption etc. I already went back to two different garages but they all say that the engine is OK.
Now do I have the feeling that not a lot garages have a lot know how about MIVEC, so that's why I started to read lot's of topics about MIVEC and read numberous kind of problems that could be an issue.

I saw that most of the people on this forum drive the faster MIVEC petrol cars, but since the system in my diesel powered MIVEC is probably the same and problems probably will be the same I put my findings here and hope that you all can help me diagnose. :wink:

The engine is making much engine sounds valve sounds when fired up. When I start driving it doesn't run very smooth when I keep a consistant speed (let's say 65 km/h 3th gear.). The engine makes a lot of wissle Turbo sound when it drives like that. The turbo is pretty good hearable but it doesn't sound broken. The engine consumes also lot's of fuel the economy meter says. And it has pretty a lot enginebrake when I release the gas.

Sometimes the engine really roars between 1700rpm and 2200 rpm when giving gas and pulling through.

But then the strange thing is that sometimes the engine starts to run really a lot more fuel economic. You then suddenly feel a lot less engine vibrations and when you realease the gaspedal it runs out more fluently! THIS IS HOW I WOULD LOVE THE ENGINE TO RUN EVERY DAY ALL DAY.When it does this the engine makes a more heavy air intake sound wroommm and the valvesounds are almost gone when running idle. Also the whistling sound when giving gas of the Turbo dies earlier around 2200 rpm you almost don't hear it anymore.
The engine runs very smooth and is a joy to ride.

The strange thing is that I drive every day 100 km to work and 100km back. Sometimes it starts operating beautifull after a few km's and sometimes it all stays feeling very rough. You really can't tell when it's going to operate fluently. Thing is that when it does it will operate fluently till I switch down the engine. Next time I fire it up will be a surprise every time!

Is this solenoid related or do I have some malfunction in a sensor?? The garages both checked the computer on sensor malfunctions but there where no problems in the computer.

Hope you all can help me starting to diagnose or now somebody in the Netherlands that has lot's of know how about MIVEC. :D

Kind regards Bram

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2016 02:10 

Hi BB-kinkie.
Sorry to tell you this but I doubt you're going to get much help here since the mivec systems most of us are using are 90's systems and may slightly differ and have less electronic systems. Your best bet is going to a Mitsubishi Outlander forum try here: http://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsub ... lander-10/

In my opinion it seems as though the car is switching between economy mode and performance mode. By any chance are you accidentally keeping the 4-wheel drive system on? or low range system on? As this may be your cause of fuel consumption and the strong engine braking.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2016 10:52 

Thank you for your reply Devious,

I already thought it took a long time for somebody to reply! But most of you are the sportscar MIVEC drivers! I will post my thread in the other forum you suggested. My car is not that High tec yet that it has different engine modes. And I don't use the 4x4 very often.

The engine runs fine but sometimes so much smoother then other times! It's like the devil plays with it! You never can tell if it's going to be a smooth ride or a rough noisy one.

Strange engine!!

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016 13:07 

Hi there I have had quite a lot of experience on Peugeot Diesel engines having 2 Peugeot diesel vehicles at the moment and direct injection Diesel engines all suffer from similar issues. The mivec system (like Peugeots vvt system) helps prolong some of the issues but from what it sounds you may have a carbon issue, possibly an intermittent egr valve issue or a bad injector, I'm unaware of common issues with this engine but if there is no lights I would monitor it and wait for the issue to get worse