Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 21 Jan 2018 09:54

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: RWD Galant-Colt
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011 08:25 

I got a chance to get a bit more done, I made the 7.5mm spacers and assembled the throttles. I am going to run the Keihin injectors from the Suzuki to start with and have the option to change to larger injectors from a Honda S2000 later if needed. The Busa injectors should be about 280cc. The S2000 injectors are about 360cc. I can deal with them later.

This shot has the injectors set in place with the G92 fuel rail, due to an interference up at the mounting of the pressure regulator I have since mounted the rail and all looks nice.

The next item was to work on the alternator. I am using an industrial spec 50A Mitsu alternator. This is the rather small 115mm stator size and should be as light as I can get without changing to a Denso unit. The alternator came with a single groove V belt sheave and I will be running a multi groove belt. After much thought and realizing I will need to mount a trigger wheel on the crank pulley I decided to make my own pulleys. This also allows me to use a 5 rib belt rather than the 4 rib as originally used on these engines.
I started with the alternator pulley so I can set the spacing on the crank pulley more accurately.
First chips were roughing the backside to shape,

Then machining the grooves,

The other shots from machining and then heating the pulley to shrink it in place were not real great so I will move right to the alternator hanging on the engine.

This should be the lowest inertia I can come up with using stock bits.

Another key item I worked on was building an offset drive starter to work with the small diameter ring gear. Appears I never brought the camera to the shop while making the changes to the starter, but what I did was to use a starter from a CJ series Mirage. These have an offset to the mounting bolts. After a bunch of measuring and a few drawings I realized that starter was offset just the amount needed. One issue was the starter needed to be 8mm deeper to mate with the manual ring gear. since I could not determine if this was available and I am not in a position to buy a bunch of starters hoping to find what I need I chose to machine this one so it bolts up to a stock RWD backplate and transmission. It looks sweet.

Modifying Mitsubishis since 1974
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Old-Colt

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011 08:26 

A few more parts are made. Since I had the alternator mounting and pulley done I now could draw up the crank pulley and machine this up.
Here is the roughed out pulley on the lathe.

And the pulley mounted on the nose of the crank. The row of 5mm threaded holes around the perimeter are to hold the trigger wheel on the backface. The pulley will get detail finishing later.

In this pic is a small, simple but important part. The spacer behind the cam belt tensioner is key to the elimination of the front engine mounting bracket.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011 09:37 

Really nice work you are doing there Charlie.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011 12:17 

Very nice build up so far way to go

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2011 04:43 

Thank you guys,
I got a chance to bring the car in the shop so I could work on fitting the engine properly. At first I was working with the original 4 speed but soon accepted I was foolish to not be placing this without a KM119 5 speed behind it. As with every early Colt I have had my hands on in the past decade the transmission mount was shot so now was the time to mod one. The car I intend to pull the transmission from is still deep in snow up behind the house but I realized the car I drive in the summer was in a shed, so out in he cold I went, jacked the front of it and other than a few breaks to thaw my hands I soon had the transmission out and ready to fit up in this car. I am now glad I chose to pull the transmission since I had noticed last summer it was shifting real crappy. Turns out the rearmost bushing had somehow been forced out of the back of the tailhousing. I needed to pull the box and now I won't blame the Redline MTL oil for binding the shifter up the way it does in Getrags.

So now with a proper transmission bolted up to the little Mivec it was time to find out where I wanted the engine and how much hacking of the car is needed to fit it.

This first image is with the engine where I think I want it, the firewall has been cut and flattened back what should be enough but not so much that the heater will not go back in. actually in the first shot the heater had not been removed yet, it can bee seen through where the hoses pass through.
You should be able to see the vertical cut on each side where I am reworking the firewall.

Here is a view from the left with the firewall welded but not metalfinished,

And from the other side,
All the brakelines will be rerouted and the brake warning switch will be eliminated.

Being satisfied with the fitment so far I took a set of 2.6 mounts, hacked them up and made a set of brackets. The engine has been lowered and moved to the right as far as practical. I also installed a 1/4" spacer at the transmission mount bringing the engine forward a bit to reduce how far the firewall needed to move.

Here is a look down at the partial right bracket with the engines weight on it.

And down at the left side, I have pretty good clearance to the master if I chose to run it.

And a look under the intake showing the alternator and the location of the thermostat housing.

The car is now back out in the snow and a customer's Saab is in the shop.
My next step will be finishing the porting & headwork and making the full oil sump.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2011 13:42 

nice workkkk!!!

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2011 21:36 

Mate beautiful work, i admire your machining.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011 01:56 

Been awhile since I have posted an update. I have got a bit done with this in the past few months but progress will be slow for awhile since I am swamped with paying work now.

One very important part of this project was building the oil sump so there will be a good chance the engine will stay alive during long heavy cornering.
I chose to stay with a wetsump system just to keep the weight down. The drysump oil system in my blue Colt worked fabulous and I could trust the system in any corner, but I chose to go this way.
The sump is about 25mm shallower than the original was so I chose to build a kicked out system.

Inside the sump is a full set of baffles and trapdoors,

And above the baffles will be a full scraper,

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011 02:01 

I have had a chance to clean up the engine bay and get the engine in place.
Here are a few shots with the engine ready to set in place,

And one shot with the engine bolted in place. It was to damn sunny out to get any other shots at the time,
I can now get back to the wiring and move forward with building the headers and all the other time consuming tasks needed.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011 17:00 

love the proyect so far!

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011 13:41 

This project is absolutely epic ! I can't wait to see this up and running :D

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2012 01:51 

Amazing work gone into this, please more updates!

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2016 11:27 

Hey Mates,
Sorry for not being around. Many years back I had endured a bad fall, right about a 3M drop onto my right side injuring my hip and shoulder. I had started to get better but then the pain closed in on me. Bit over a year ago I had shoulder surgery where they found I had bone spurs grow into the joint. The hip has not had surgery but weekly PT is finally allowing me to be productive again.
I have made some progress on this project so I will post where I am at.

I have made the final decision and am going with the Quarter Master pressure plate. With this decision I chose to optimize the Aasco Flywheel to work with this clutch. This works out to be a nice setup. Very light, and very low rotating mass. The total clutch-flywheel weighs less than the factory pressure plate and has considerably less rotational moment. The neat thing is it will still use the stock 215mm size disk. I am going to run a 4 puck metallic disc.

Here is the flywheel setup on the small rotary table. It is not very often you find someone lightening an already light aluminum flywheel but I removed .7 Kg, almost 1½ lbs off the outside of the wheel. This gets the flywheel down to just 3.25Kg, that's 7.15lbs. I still consider it heavier than it could be but much of the mass is not near the outer diameter and will act as heatsink.

And hung on the crank,

Other work has been done such as finishing the alternator mounting, making the 36-1 trigger wheel for the crank pickup and porting the oil pump and relief valve, I never shot pictures of them.
I have also done porting work in the head, I will show pictures later of the ports.
What I do find picture worthy is I have been building the wire harness for this project.

Here is the donor harness I bought to get parts from, This harness is from a Honda S2000. this also provides me with suitable ignition coils and nice sized injectors that are a direct fit into the Hayabusa throttles I will run.

And after disassembly to get the main sections I need from it,

And here is what I am working towards, A Coil on plug ITB injected system, This is the initial layout, obviously allot more to do,

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2016 01:23 

Really sorry to hear about your fall :(

Great update though and fantastic project you have there

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2016 11:56 

Thank you, it has be a few tough years,

A few more steps that have been done, I made some water pipes and one big step, closing out the MegaSquirt harness. I finished and wrapped the main wire harness in the front of the car. Well not fully finished since the headlight and fan relays have not been installed.
Previously I posted pictures of the jumble of wires used to build the engine harness. I selected a harness from a Honda S2000 since they share the same family of fuel injectors as the Hayabusa which the throttles came from as well as a set of ignition coils the proper length and diameter needed for the MIVEC cylinder head allowing me to run a COP ignition.
Here is the finished MS harness sitting on a floor in the house, looks so damn simple once it is all sheathed.

And a few shots of the harness in place on the engine as well as the water piping,

My next steps are to plumb the fuel system and build the headers. then I can deal with a few details and fire the engine up.