Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 18 Nov 2017 11:38

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: L200 6G74 MIVEC Build
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2016 21:20 

So. I have an L200, 1997 original engine was the 6G72 12v. It was good when it was going, surprising power for ancient engine design and old(ish) ute. Anyway, long story short the heads cracked and having spent 2.5k on a gearbox recondition around April 2015 I wasn't too keen on selling the old beast.
My initial plan when buying it was to eventually do a Lexus V8 swap, e.g. 1UZ-FE. But after the gearbox fiasco, and some creative thinking, I thought that perhaps a 6G72TT from a 94+ GTO (CAS is in a different spot from then on, so it would clear firewall) would be a slightly less hassle ordeal as the bell housing, engine mounts, and sump can interchange etc. so no custom work needed. There is one write up that I can find of this being done in this particular model, but he's only doing a single turbo build lol.
Attachment:
File comment: That is just cardboard on the bonnet btw, and just a bit of wood and bottles that are supposed to look like an MG
11263093_10206902359022738_1242072544739561405_o.png
11263093_10206902359022738_1242072544739561405_o.png [ 930.99 KiB | Viewed 2275 times ]

Around September 2015 I purchased a 30m Diamante, done 155k, as a run around car till I figured out where to go with my Ute. I have never been so astonished by a $1000 car in my life.
However my joy and reckless driving were short lived, the gearbox failed after about a month of me owning it lol (a VERY common problem with that generation of Diamante, heater core started to leak too).
I bet by now you can figure out why I’m making this post.

I have been converted by the MIVEC power, scrapped the GTO engine idea and am embarking on something more original!
Yes, that’s right, I am doing a MIVEC engine swap with my Ute.
What’s that I hear you say?
"Oh but you can’t do it that easily, go read magn1t's threads and all the other nubs who've come here saying that they will do this swap, and see just what you are in for because it’s not worth the hassle!"
Well, my friend, I have done my research I can assure you.

Thanks to magn1t, because without the discoveries you made I would have put countless $$$$ down the drain. So props to you man.

Anyhoo, swap details...

Ute has an empty engine bay awaiting its iron goddess.
Diamante has no engine, and soon to lose its wiring, ecu, fuel pump, and whatever other things I can scrap off it for this
Bought a 6g74 SOHC from a TJ Diamante, had done 186k. Tore that down to basic block and internals, had it reconditioned but will be reassembling myself to save $$
Heads from 30m are still at recon workshop, owner’s prev to me must not have heard of an oil change because they were dirtier than the pope conscience. Have to be glass beaded etc.
will use lower intake plenum from 3.5, upper parts from 30m so I can make use of the variable inlet length valves.
Will use sump from 3.5 Diamante, have to flatten small 75mmx60mm ish area on the steel section to clear front diff. (actually bought sump and oil pick up from 3.5 DOHC Paj thinking it would all be honky dory, but it’s not so don't do that. will upload pics of why later)
Engine mounts, haven't 100% figured out but I test fitted the brackets from the 12v onto the 3.5 block and was amazed to find almost perfect hole placement and from rough measurements they will line up with bell housing properly. (Again will post pics of this later)

That's about it so far. World first as far as I know, need to complete it though lol.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2016 18:00 

Cool project
Make sure to update us with pics of progress

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2016 23:02 
Mivec Guru

Cool .

Looking forwards to seeing it going.

edit, just read through again.
I think what you'll be missing is that the cooling system pipes need to be swapped , most of which you'll need from a 6G74 DOHC pajero engine. There's a difference between the blocks so you'll still use the waterpump from the SOHC block. The rear part of the waterpump is different again and I think you'll need to source one from a 3.5/ 3.8 SOHC pajero.
Hopefully the rest should fit or can be made to fit.

It's easier to fool someone than it is to convince someone that they've been fooled.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2016 19:47 

So update time, not much has happened but progress nonetheless.

-Finished re-assembling '74 block, just the internals at this stage.
-Mivec heads are back from workshop, skimped on glass beading in interest of time and money savings. Not shiny clean like those ricer PnP '72 heads haha, but clean enough.
-Have figured out how to do the sump now, still fouls even with the steel section removed.

I have a bunch of pictures to put up, was thinking of just posting them on without labeling and letting you lot work it out. But that's a pet peeve of mine when reading other peoples build threads so i won't do that.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2016 21:04 

Mivec Heads on 3.5 block:

Sumps sumps sumps!
Left is TJ Diamante 6G74, middle is L200 6G72 12v, and right is Pajero DOHC 6G74.

Diamante sump next to L200
Much closer than the pajero one, which has the steel piece come around in the spot where the 12v sump is curved inwards to clear diff.

The other problem is that the pajero sump forms part of the mounting to the bell housing, it has the right holes in the right spaces for my g/box that's in my ute.
The Diamante sump has one bolt hole that lines up lol. but they aren't really that necessary, will probably get some bits welded in to make it line up anyway.

Can see in this one where the diff is, and how that would need a sump to curve around it.

Engine bay waiting for new soul,

And this is why my old 12v engine became a big water pump haha

Top of the line workshop haha

This is honestly all the wiring that my old engine had, nice and simple. Unlike the Mivec Diamante lol

This is the next problem, '74 lower intake plenum won't fit the studs. I am pretty sure i can re drill some holes to make it work, i'll want to flip it 180* too so the throttle body is not in my fire wall haha.
'74 next to '72 Mivec
Note the big difference in port sizes, will have to bore out '74 plenum because that's a big restriction.

The top of the Mivec intake, the manifold with the butterfly valves. Pretty neat, funny thing is that they had this in 1995 and a recent Outlander model had something similar and was claming the whole "new tech" facade haha 30M had all the
Imagegood stuff.

Thought i'd put up a more recent photo of the ute, note the different wheels on the back.. Lets just say that when the old engine started to die it went from bad to worse rather quick hahah.
Current ride, 1998 Corolla 1.8 Twin cam EFI, not bad for a 1.8 tbh. Still miss rwd though.

Oh and if anyone wants a pair of 6G74 sohc heads then send me a message and we can work something out haha.
Just a note on these, they appear to be the very rare dedicated LPG from factory ones. They have LPG engraved into them, unsure what difference that will make for the rest of the engine. Probably none. I hope..

Anyway, that s all for now.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2016 10:34 

So what type of ecu will you be running in this build? And what progression stage are you up to now?

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2016 12:57 
Mivec Guru

The bolt holes for the sumps are all different and the only sump that'll fit is the one which came with the block.
So you'll need to give it a cut & tuck.

The cooling system is the biggest problem as the stock pipe from front to rear won't clear the mivec head. I got a few bits and pieces myself from pick a part (SOHC challenger) to measure / modify / make fit.That's with the same combo of Diamante 3.5 block and 30M heads and 265T belt.

like here

http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=lyoyzv52.zcb.jpg

And here

http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=sjmotnbj.unx.jpg

Which is a pajero block (for comparison of tensioner) wearing non mivec heads.
I've put 3 mm spacers under the heads and under the lower intake manifold.
That's to drop the compression because I've stroked the 6G74 crank out from 85.8 mm to 91 mm by offset grinding it. If it ever works, I can do the same to the mivec version too. It's using RB30 conrods and 6G75 pistons to give about 3.9 litres.

It's easier to fool someone than it is to convince someone that they've been fooled.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2017 20:18 

So a year later nothing changed really.
Except for job, house, and now getting married.
It's been a crazy year.
I've been keeping busy with other projects though, namely a manual 30M. (ooh yes i know, i couldn't help myself)

Have been reconsidering immediate direction with the ute, but rest assured that it will be MIVEC one day. Contemplating using the 3L MIVEC engine as the inlet manifold is no issue just have to rotate 180* but had to do that anyway, sump *might* be able to swapped for a sump and also engine mounts from the shape up L200 (they had a 6g72 sohc 24v, so the same block but rwd), so if that all works out then its just the cooling issue.
The guy in USA who was doing the 6G72TT swap in the same shape seemed to think he could modify the rwd 6G74 piping to fit. Either way, my new job grants me access to aircraft grade materials and quite a few guys who have built custom engines and all sorts before. So if it comes to custom made bits, the less the better and i think this way might be the quickest for now.

Another reason for the switch to the 6G72 engine is the compression ratio, 10.5:1 for MIVEC and 9.5:1 for the 6G74 block I have. The unmentioned plan was to supercharge the 3.5 MIVEC as the lower CR would have meant loss of N/A power and would have handled boost etc..

However at this stage it could even be a case of finding another 12v 6G72 and doing head gaskets etc then just actually driving the ute until i have a complete and running engine to put in it.

Hainesy wrote:
So what type of ecu will you be running in this build? And what progression stage are you up to now?

I was planning to run the 30M ECU, have read of guys in Aus swapping '74 and '75 engines in and using '72/74 ECU with little loss. At least until i was ready to supercharge.

Honestly i'm not sure when i'll make progress on this next, have a few things happening at the moment. (ie wedding in May)
If anyone wants to help at anytime i would gladly appreciate it as everything i'm doing is new to me, as i have been pretty much self taught and know less than I might show.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017 22:55 
Administrator

Just get it done before the kids arrive :wink:

They pretty much bring every car project to a swift and definitive end...