Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 20 Sep 2018 21:27

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Getting dirty
PostPosted: 12 May 2010 20:25 

Sack of Spuds wrote:
The works Proton Satria S1600 ran with ally sump and tank guards and kevlar floor guards - all still available from Harry Hockley Motorsport will fit CA Colt too - Photos

I have drawings somewhere for the ones I made patterned off the above car.

Hi Spuds,
I have recently found this rear guard would be very useful, I rally a Satria turned CA4A Mirage/Colt in Australia and our last event was super rough in sections. Needless to say the exhaust suffered, fuel tank is ok as I run a fibre glass base to it (a couple of dents), but the rear bolt/rivet on skid protection I had for the rear cross member did little on the last stage where I whacked the edge of a road in a big step up hairpin from one level to another...Pic attached.

I've seen some pics of some Satria's running around in the UK with this Hockley spec rear protection and I am currently working out if this is ideal...It certainly looks tough, but I was considering how heavy that must be? I'm thinking if I brace the rear cross member from the front with some more solid, welded in skids...I'm currently getting the rear cross member reinforced with a chrome-moly skirt around the top.

Any other suggestions over and above this armour plating...But if you have drawings kicking around that would be awesome?

Cheers,

Daz
Attachment:
RearCrossMemberDamagesmall.jpg
RearCrossMemberDamagesmall.jpg [ 89.08 KiB | Viewed 1329 times ]

Attachments:
daytime01.JPG
daytime01.JPG [ 84.18 KiB | Viewed 1329 times ]

Post subject: Re: Getting dirty
PostPosted: 12 May 2010 23:46 

Dazzler - PM me your email address and I'll send the tank guard pattern over for you.

Sure they weigh a few kilos but the knowledge that you aren't going to hole your tank is worth more than the time lost from a few kilos extra, they also protect the rear crossmember so you can't damage that (as you just did) as easily.

Weight will depend what thickness you use, mines 6mm, the one on the S1600 car was 5mm and tbh you could probably go to 4mm without too much worry. Quick calculation based on its size and density of alloy puts mine at about the 10kg mark.

I came down really heavily on mine on the last event, in a proper 205 style - sky, road, sky, road - view from the drivers seat after it pitched in the air a few times on an extremely rough tarmac road that has subsided very badly that was at about 60mph/100kph at a guess, not sure didn't have time to look down, any faster and the car would have jumped clean off the road into potentially the huge drainage ditche down the side of the road. I though I'd probably flattened the spare wheel well from the angle we were at and the noise it made etc but the rear edge of the tank guard took the impact. Mines flat across the rear crossmember, unlike the genuine Hockley ones, supported on a steel bracket that's welded to brace the crossmember. Both the guard and the brace are now slightly bent here but I suspect without it the crossmember ends would have taken the impact and done a lot more damage.

Personally I'm not sure floor guards are necessary, in all the rally cars I've been in (mainly as co-driver) and I've done well over 100 events (stopped counting), I can't remember one that had floor guards. They're great for the works teams to help keep the cars absolutely pristine but for us mere mortals the cost of decent ones is just too high. A lick of hammerite every few events to cover the stonechips up does well enough for most amateurs.