Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 23 Jul 2018 15:27

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CJ4A Driveshaft Issues
PostPosted: 17 May 2014 15:37 

I have recently changed the front control arms in my CJ4A (Mirage Asti RX version R) gravel rally car to Evo VI alloy ones after bending the standard steel ones on an event. All seemed fine until 3kms into the stage we lost drive & upon inspection the longer control arms were too long for the driveshaft & it was pulled out of the gearbox on full extension.

My question is simple. What factory Mitsubishi (or other) driveshafts can I fit to prevent this from happening again? I've searched the forums & I think FTO may work but I cannot find a conclusive yes or no.

Any answers/help would be greatly appreciated as the next round is not far away & I need to fix this. I'm not sitting in the West Australian bush watching everyone else having fun again.

Thanks in advance...

www.rallywa.com

PostPosted: 20 May 2014 21:11 

Not an uncommon problem on fwd rally cars, how much too short are they? Could you use a spacer on the outbouard end as there is usually plenty if thread on the stub shaft to allow this. Lock stops on the steering rack and or drop straps on the front suspension might help too, as it's usually on full lock and droop that you get problems. Did you use new snap rings on the shafts as recommended by Mitsubishi, it's also usual to break the shaft or cv as shaft doesn't pull out.

Can't help on a std shaft but you could try contacting Harry Hockley Motor Sport, they do upgraded shafts (for Proton but same thing so long as you're fitting new not stressing a shaft the opposite direction to what it has work hardened into) including at least one style not on their website and may be able to supply longer ones.

PostPosted: 21 May 2014 20:19 

you might want to go to the evo 2/3/4 style cast steel front arms. these are very strong and maintain the same track as your chassis was designed for.

i too run the alloy arms but being circuit and hillclimb oriented i haven't had an issue so far fortunately

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2014 20:02 

The evo 6 shafts should fit one side at least. Think the evo 6 arms are 10mm longer.
I guess you have greater than factory shock travel as well.

Not sure what prices are like but here any gear cutting place can make shafts, usually not that expensive. I had one let go and it went through the gearbox case. Only 2mm thick in places as it turns out.

The factory ones are almost designed to bend they fold up easy, even at 30-40kph if you hit a curb.
Evo 3 are the strongest as they are cast iron things and have better rear bushings than factory.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2014 14:52 

Firstly thanks for all the info.

Sack of Spuds, not sure how much too short they are as I haven't had much of a chance to have a really good look. I know the diff used to click really badly (very tight) before & with the new arms that click had gone which leads me to believe they were substantially too short. I'm not going to put lock or drop stops on as on the gravel here in Aus )I'm in WA near Perth so think old WRC ball bearing gravel) the traction will suffer alot & that will make life difficult. I don't believe we've broken a shaft as I can see the CV joint has been pulled right out of the gearbox. Will have to get in touch with HHMS as they look like they know about the MIVEC stuff too.

loz, I am trying to get hold of some but am still looking towards evo 6 & later stuff long term.

Rabbit, shocks are MCA Gold Series (competition stuff, similar too what Richard Mason & Hayden Paddon were running over there or Neal Bates, Brendon Reeves & various others run over here, really great gear & backup) so travel is greater than stock. I haven't yet explored the custom/bespoke option yet but if I have to I will.

www.rallywa.com