Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 21 Apr 2018 18:27

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LSD noise ???
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2005 04:35 
Guys, i've just installed a whole engine & tranny from a CA4A Cyborg RS in my CB4A Lancer. From the looks of the CA4A halfcut i got, it was used for Rally competitions in japan. It has red mudguards, Ohlins front shocks, aluminum sump guard mounts, & bolts for the roll cage on the flooring. The engine looks stock as the airbox has a stock filter & etc. The clutch though is a 3pack exedy while the tranny has LSD.

The thing that bothers me is that after using the engine & tranny for a couple of days i intermittently hear a judder (which sounds like something is being broken or crushed) from the tranny or the axle. This sound usually occurs when im doing tight slow turns. But when i corner at higher speeds there's no sound at all.
Can any of you shed light on this, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2005 11:47 
Administrator

Whats the model/part number stamped on the gearbox? It might have an aftermarket LSD.

If the engine came from a rally car, perhaps its got a CUSCO LSD. They are VERY noisy and sound a bit like cluncking metal. Its hard to tell when something when broken because of the noise! But they are very popular in rally cars.

Waikato@Heart - supporting heart kids through life
Bart Dinger Electronics

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2005 07:17 
Bartman wrote:
Whats the model/part number stamped on the gearbox? It might have an aftermarket LSD.

If the engine came from a rally car, perhaps its got a CUSCO LSD. They are VERY noisy and sound a bit like cluncking metal. Its hard to tell when something when broken because of the noise! But they are very popular in rally cars.

It has the same part number as my old non-lsd gear box and yes the noise sounds like clucking metal or bearings breaking while turning at slow speeds, say 5kph or lower (though, it doens't happen during every turn). No noise is emitted during fast runs thru corners & straights. I also tried lauching the car from full stop and everything seems to be fine. Both tires grip simultaneously lauching at 4-5K rpm.
I think that it also has a Cusco LSD or an aftermarket one as there are signs that the gear box has been opened due the the excess black silicone sealant on the body. The half-cut also came with Carrosse mud flaps which could suggest that Cusco was one of its sponsors.
I'm currently using Castrol Hypoy LS in the gearbox. Would you guys suggest a better gear oil? Thanks.

Btw, please continue to post your insights & thoughts regarding this matter. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2005 10:27 
Sounds like a grp N cyborg, so the diff will have been had the preload on the diff increased giving the noise you'll be getting.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2005 13:05 

Just wanted to share some experience my frend bought a half cut MIVEC RS to fit for his car and after transplant everytime he take conners some rattling sound will come from his gearbox (slow speed). He then asked around the MIVEC RS used for racing at Japan the gearbox is a racing gearbox. Finally he is now using 1.8 GSR gearbox but after selling the RS Gearbox then only he knows that the ratting sound of the RS Gearbox can be repaired but its too late :(
I think that all RS Gearbox's have noise but can be repaired so try ask around to fix it GOOD LUCK 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2005 15:33 

Location: Making things Dirty =;-P (Auckland care of muddy gravel roads)
the rs box that we have doesn't make any noises...

I made it to trackday...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2005 21:07 

Yeah neither RS box we have makes any funny noises... apart from the whine of the short gears in Chelles car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2005 16:22 
Xtreme_Cyborg wrote:
Sounds like a grp N cyborg, so the diff will have been had the preload on the diff increased giving the noise you'll be getting.

Chris

is this noise normal, or there's something wrong with the differential or gearbox itself. i asked a local mechanic regarding this and he asked me if the gearbox i installed was stocked for a long time. naturally i said yes as it came from a wrecker in japan. he told me that the clutches on the LSD could have sticked & just told me to keep on using it & just use the correct gear oil specifically for LSD's.
would you have any insight on this? thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2005 08:58 
Administrator

FWD gearboxes don't tend to need any special gear oil for LSDs. The LSDs are designed to use the same oil as the gearbox was designed to use.

I certainly wouldn't recommend running GL5 or Hypoid LSD/Diff oil in a gearbox designed for GL4. There are corrosive chemicals in Hypoid type oils that can damage parts inside GL4 boxes in the long term. Suggest Redline Racings GL4 gearbox oil if you want something a bit more exotic than the OEM oil.

IF you have a cusco LSD tho, no amount of additives will make it any less noisy. Thats just the way they are. You wouldn't be the first person to have one removed and exchanged for something else due to the noise.

Also, are you SURE the noise is comming from the Diff? Worn out CV joints (very common problem) also make noise only when turning sharply at low speed.

Waikato@Heart - supporting heart kids through life
Bart Dinger Electronics

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2005 09:41 

Sounds to me like it could just be a knackered CV joint if i happens when you are doing slow tight circles. It may not be the box at all.

Go to a car park and do a few slow circles in reverse if the joint is gone it will click and grind like crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2005 06:47 
Bartman & RPM,

thanks for the info, ill try to check out the CV joints as you adviced. thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2005 07:27 

Location: Making things Dirty =;-P (Auckland care of muddy gravel roads)
whats so special about the cusco LSD?

I made it to trackday...

Post subject: Re: LSD noise ???
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2015 08:30 

Randee wrote:
Guys, i've just installed a whole engine & tranny from a CA4A Cyborg RS in my CB4A Lancer. From the looks of the CA4A halfcut i got, it was used for Rally competitions in japan. It has red mudguards, Ohlins front shocks, aluminum sump guard mounts, & bolts for the roll cage on the flooring. The engine looks stock as the airbox has a stock filter & etc. The clutch though is a 3pack exedy while the tranny has LSD.

The thing that bothers me is that after using the engine & tranny for a couple of days i intermittently hear a judder (which sounds like something is being broken or crushed) from the tranny or the axle. This sound usually occurs when im doing tight slow turns. But when i corner at higher speeds there's no sound at all.
Can any of you shed light on this, thanks.

Hey man did you figure out this problem? I have a F5M421 Y8AK model LSD Mivec box and I have the same problem. Please advise.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2015 10:05 
Administrator

kav747 wrote:
Hey man did you figure out this problem? I have a F5M421 Y8AK model LSD Mivec box and I have the same problem. Please advise.

Don't hold your breath. That post is 10 years old and Randee hasn't been an active member for a very (VERY) long time...

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016 09:20 

But to answer your question if its a clutch plate diff like the cusco or a Kaaz one it will clunk and and make the car judder under full lock at low speed, pulling out of junctions etc. The pay off though is it will make the car pull round the corners like a dream. Best way to check if you're unsure is to pop the driveshafts out and take a picture, they are slightly different to the standard lsd to look at, I stupidly didn't take a picture when I put mine in but if you upload a picture I will be able to tell you.

The other reason why people get fed up with them is because they are set at 100% lock from the factory which is way too high for a fwd car, British touring cars use about 80% lock, I set mine to 60% and drove it daily with only a slight noise and judder.