Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 21 Jul 2018 13:17

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tyre Decay
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2004 10:53 
I recently noticed that the sidewall on one of my tyres are starting to separate from the tyre. Thinking that this was pretty dangerous I decided to pop down to the Bridgestone performance outlet in Wairau Park. I was hoping that I would get a refund or a discount as this would be considered a tyre defect. After getting the all four tyres checked over it was discovered that they were all perishing. Anyway it turns out the the tyres were manufactured in 1997 and tyres arent expected to last this long. Im also pretty amazed that the car travelled less than 5000kms in 6 years in Japan.

Overall I'm pretty gutted as they are all Bridgestone G-Grid II's with about 10000kms on them and 5-6mm of tread still remaining. To replace them with the current G'Grid III is going to cost $800.

Have any of ya's heard of tyres decaying as I wouldnt consider 8 years to be an exceptionally long time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2004 02:28 
I heard that a tyre will last 5 years from the manufacture date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2004 22:33 
Yes, I too seem to get the said, "tyre decay", when I happen to be in a Mivec powered car and "accidently" drop the "clutch". Funny thing...
But seriously, my mate had G grid 2's on his Accord and they were awesome!! Gutted as though for you... go with the upgrade and give the dogdy set a funeral and cremate them on some nice tarmac... :D