Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 16 Oct 2018 01:39

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2004 22:26 
Hey Guys!!

Got a real technical one for you!!

I got a set of Tein Shocks and springs offered to me out of an Evo 4.
Now I know the top shock mounts are different but I was wondering if I can use my existing top shock mountings and just put the shock and spring on?? They look exactly the same.

Anyone ever done this or recommend NOT to do it for any reason.

I will be gettin the shocks for €400 and new the cost €3000.

What dye reckon??

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2004 07:04 
Administrator

Mmmm. Maybe. Would be easier to get EVO 1-2 shocks/springs cause they would go straight in. I'd be suprised if the EVO 4 shocks could be adapted by just changing the top plate.

Waikato@Heart - supporting heart kids through life
Bart Dinger Electronics

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2004 07:55 
Thanks for the reply. As I said they look exactly the same bar the top shock mounting, sure theres no harm in trying. I'll let ye know how I get on, i'm gonna try during the week.

Anybody else got any pearls of wisdom??

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2004 09:12 

I have a full set of GAB Shocks in my car (2nd gen borg 96-) which came out of a 4WD 93 Super R Mirage and my top hats fitted fine. I had to swap them over cause mine are 3 stud and the earlier models only hav 2 stud
Um i dont no if that helps at all but it worked well on my car :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2005 07:51 
I'm in exactly the same boat only its the oppositie way around.

Evo 4 shocks converted to Evo 3 shocks!

With wot you say its gotta work so i'm getting the shocks built up during the week so i'll let ye know how I get on.

Thanks for the reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2005 15:18 
I think one problem might be spring/shock stiffness which were designed for a heaver car with different weight balance.

Also, when I was looking to buy tein coilovers for my CE lancer, I was told by tein that evo coilovers would not fit my normal CE.
I don't know why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2005 18:29 

Height is wrong for the hatches but sedan should be ok.

I was going to get cusco's from the lancer and the min drop for the lancer is the same as the max for the hatch. I gues if you want a super low car it'll work.

With gen 1's the swaybar is on the lower arm like the evo4+ so it's not to bad. Just the top hat is different with the whole 2 bolt vs 3 bolt bit. Spring weight in the front maybe a bit heavy but rear should be the same. THe mirage is the same spring rate as the standard lancer and GSR on the cucso site.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2005 16:27 
thingee wrote:
Hey Guys!!

Got a real technical one for you!!

I got a set of Tein Shocks and springs offered to me out of an Evo 4.
Now I know the top shock mounts are different but I was wondering if I can use my existing top shock mountings and just put the shock and spring on?? They look exactly the same.

Anyone ever done this or recommend NOT to do it for any reason.

I will be gettin the shocks for €400 and new the cost €3000.

What dye reckon??

You may be able to fit the front shocks & springs for the front by changing the top mounts. But you won't be able to use the rear shocks as the bottom connector is different with the CB4A Lancer. The rear arms are different, the EVO 4-6.5 has a fork type rear lower strut connector while the CB4A Lancer has a round type rear lower strut connector. You would need to get the rear main arm of the evo4 if you want to use the springs & shocks from the CN9A EVO4. Hth

In my CB4A lancer, im using EVO3 oem shocks & TEIN lowering springs. The wheel fender gap is about 3 fingers or approxiamately 1.5" with 195/55/15 tires.

note: (for clarification only)
the rear main arm is perpendicular to the body, where the the rear struts are bolted. while the rear trailing arm is where the rear brakes are mounted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2005 22:43 

Yes the evo4 onwards does not have an eyebolt hole in the rear shocks at the bottom. The evo4+ has a inverted U shapped bottom mount that probably won't fit.

The evo1-3 and the GSR till 1999 has the same rears as the ca and cj mirage :D

Post subject: It didn't work!!
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2005 04:38 
Hey!

You we're all right just got my car back with no new shocks! :cry:

As said:
"You may be able to fit the front shocks & springs for the front by changing the top mounts. But you won't be able to use the rear shocks as the bottom connector is different with the CB4A Lancer. The rear arms are different, the EVO 4-6.5 has a fork type rear lower strut connector while the CB4A Lancer has a round type rear lower strut connector."

So now I have a set of Tein Shocks and springs from an Evo 4 that are useless to me!! :cry:

Anyway gotta get back to business. I have found a set of KYB GR2 Gas Shocks and yet again I wanna make sure these will fit.

Now as they'd be comin from the states they have no listing for a lancer only a mirage. So I reckon these would be the ones I'd want.

What dye reckon??

KYB234061 - Front Right
KYB234062 - Front Left
KYB341140 - Rear x 2

PRODUCT: http://www.kyb.com/products/detail.php?ID=1

SPEC.: http://www.kyb.com/catalog/index.php?Action=Submit&MakeID=Mitsubishi&ModelID=365&x=43&y=9

Also being that it is the states, dye the whole LHD / RHD would affect it?? :cry: