Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 22 Oct 2018 07:49

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mirage cup car brakes
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2010 23:57 
Hi Guys!

Anyone no what brakes and rotors are on the mirage cup race cars, as I think they are EVO IV want to make sure?

Cheers!

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2010 08:41 

evo 1-3 brakes up front.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2010 11:16 

There is a small difference in the RS brakes. This is the spacing of the caliper frame that bolts onto the hub.
The 000 chassis numbers had the smaller spacing same as evo 1 - 3. The 01 revision chassis number cars had wider spaced caliper frame, same as the evo 4. They actually changed a bit up front with the revision. As the sway bar link swapped from the shock to mounting on the A arm with the 01 cars. And the hub mounting method to the A arm changed also. I'd say they changed to the complete evo 4 hub assembly minus the 5 stud. Evo 4 gsr's went to a larger ~294 mm disc too.
The calipers and the pads they use are the same, and the discs are still 276mm. But if you unbolted the calipers off a 000 car and tried to put them onto an 01 they will not bolt up.
Easy way to tell looking at a pair off a car is the caliper to frame slider bolt spacing is about the same as the frame to hub holes in the small spaced evo 1- 3 or 000.
And the wider spaced 01 revision or evo 4 frames have a frame to hub hole spacing about 30mm wider than the slider bolts. Really obvious when you look

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2010 00:30 

Chook wrote:
There is a small difference in the RS brakes. This is the spacing of the caliper frame that bolts onto the hub.
The 000 chassis numbers had the smaller spacing same as evo 1 - 3. The 01 revision chassis number cars had wider spaced caliper frame, same as the evo 4. They actually changed a bit up front with the revision. As the sway bar link swapped from the shock to mounting on the A arm with the 01 cars. And the hub mounting method to the A arm changed also. I'd say they changed to the complete evo 4 hub assembly minus the 5 stud. Evo 4 gsr's went to a larger ~294 mm disc too.
The calipers and the pads they use are the same, and the discs are still 276mm. But if you unbolted the calipers off a 000 car and tried to put them onto an 01 they will not bolt up.
Easy way to tell looking at a pair off a car is the caliper to frame slider bolt spacing is about the same as the frame to hub holes in the small spaced evo 1- 3 or 000.
And the wider spaced 01 revision or evo 4 frames have a frame to hub hole spacing about 30mm wider than the slider bolts. Really obvious when you look

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread but what difference does mounting the swaybar/arb to the A arm rather than the shock make. If any which is best?

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2010 11:43 

They went to the sway bar bolting to the bottom arm as the 01 revision changed to a EVO4 knuckle and bottom arm assy and EVO 4-6 run the link to the bottom arm, plus the 01 revision went to a much larger 21m front swaybar (over 17)

I run this setup on my mirage the front track changes and it makes quite a large difference to the front handling, i run evo 5 alloy arms as they are exactly the same arms just wider again :D

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2010 19:28 

Yeah as Cam said there is the sway bar upgrade to 21mm. This increase in size is probably the greater handling improvement for the 01 cars over changing where the swarbar links to.
Its actually quite different between a 000 RS and an 01 RS when you get two of them lined up together. Also the method of mounting the hub to the a arm changed from the normal threaded stud and 19mm nylock nut. To a plain stud and with hoirzontal lock bolt.
So to do a full swap to convert a 000 to 01 you are looking at:
Sway Bar, Swaybar bushes, possibly sway bar mounts on the subframe?
Swaybar links, A arms, Hub assembly, Brake caliper frames to bolt caliper to new hubs with wider spacing.
And this is not a job you want to do without a hoise as you have to drop the subfram to change the sway bar unless you are Cam and enjoy a "Challenge" :lol:

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2010 01:23 

Does anybody have the part number of the 21mm sway bar? The local Mitsu people are rubbish. Don't even think about asking them to search catalogues.

Thanks

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2010 09:30 

screen shot from ASA attached with part number options

Attachments:
cj4aswaybar.jpg
cj4aswaybar.jpg [ 144.51 KiB | Viewed 5763 times ]

Peter Lee
Broomfish Automotive Parts
http://www.broomfish.co.nz/shop/

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2010 10:49 

Thanks!!

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2010 11:38 

Welcome

Peter Lee
Broomfish Automotive Parts
http://www.broomfish.co.nz/shop/

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2010 03:13 

Chook wrote:
Yeah as Cam said there is the sway bar upgrade to 21mm. This increase in size is probably the greater handling improvement for the 01 cars over changing where the swarbar links to.
Its actually quite different between a 000 RS and an 01 RS when you get two of them lined up together. Also the method of mounting the hub to the a arm changed from the normal threaded stud and 19mm nylock nut. To a plain stud and with hoirzontal lock bolt.
So to do a full swap to convert a 000 to 01 you are looking at:
Sway Bar, Swaybar bushes, possibly sway bar mounts on the subframe?
Swaybar links, A arms, Hub assembly, Brake caliper frames to bolt caliper to new hubs with wider spacing.
And this is not a job you want to do without a hoise as you have to drop the subfram to change the sway bar unless you are Cam and enjoy a "Challenge" :lol:

Well I can safely say I wont being changing all that stuff just for a swaybar :lol: .I just have a 17mm swaybar. So, put simply, bolting the swaybar to the A arm would be a slight improvement compared to bolting to the shock, right?

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2010 08:40 

No, I wouldnt think you'd actually feel any handling difference at all by just changing where the swar bar links to.
The absolute best reason I can think of to change the swarbar mountung on to the A arm is then you can run evo 4 shocks in the front off the shelf.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2010 01:10 

Chook wrote:
No, I wouldnt think you'd actually feel any handling difference at all by just changing where the swar bar links to.
The absolute best reason I can think of to change the swarbar mountung on to the A arm is then you can run evo 4 shocks in the front off the shelf.

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up! Cheers Chook :)

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2010 22:45 

andymivec12 wrote:
Chook wrote:

Chook aye quite the guru :wink: , all the 01 revision stuff i had been previously muttering on to him about must have sunken in as i couldnt have explained it better :lol:

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010 10:42 

Cameron wrote:
andymivec12 wrote:
Chook wrote:

Chook aye quite the guru :wink: , all the 01 revision stuff i had been previously muttering on to him about must have sunken in as i couldnt have explained it better :lol:

Aye Cameron, just another fella on here who knows way too much about cars :lol: