Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 22 May 2018 09:35

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: brake pads
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2004 21:46 
wot sorta aftermarket pads is evryone running or recommend for a gen 2, wot sorta price am i lookin at too cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2004 21:54 

Talk to Race Brakes on their free phone 0800BRAKES, their weblink is in my sig. Don't forget to change your fluid too if you haven't for a while.

From their handout:
Front Pads ~250-300 (mintex M1166)
Fluid ~50
F & R + fluid ~450 -500

I got some Evo3 rear brakes tonight so I'll be calling race brakes tomorrow for prices on pads.

I've used green and yellow stuff and can't recommend it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2004 07:47 
Administrator

Or if you want to do it on the cheap, I still run Metal Kings even at track days and have no problems. Available from BNT.

Waikato@Heart - supporting heart kids through life
Bart Dinger Electronics

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2004 20:54 
sweet cheers guys.

ive heard a whole lotta shit about those EBC's most of it all bad! certainly not gonna be my weapon of choice.

rabbit with those kinda brakes u should stop on a dime! have u got th fronts to match ( i know your not RS). does your hatch have ABS? i cant say ive seen too many like mine without it, it sux its so dodgy, ive almost come a cropper a couple of time. :x

ie sum tool indicating left 2 go off a roundabout (thats wot i thought) but actually coming straight thru and indicating prematurely! :twisted: i hit th picks and ended up in no-mans land 1/2 way across his lane! luckily he saw me and swerved, but far too close

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2004 21:18 

NO ABS for me, and I like it that way. ABS doesn't work well on gravel and NZ is full of it, so I gon't like it.
I had two or three flat spots from some small lock ups in the wet early on, and a pair of asian guys who didn't understand what indicators were (they do now). But I'm getting pretty good at braking without locking up these days. I've moved on to working on heal and toe braking now (got a new accelerator pedal that helps heaps).

Yeah, the rears are as big as my stock fronts, 14 inches discs for the rears. They have the ABS crap hanging off tehm at tha moment but hopefully that can be ripped off. So if anyone needs a sensor I have one good and one with w bandaid on it.
I'll write up an article on whats involved when I'm finished changing the brakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2004 22:27 
I run EBC green stuffs on mine. They are great, the've done a few track days without fault and wear pretty well. I paid about 160 for them. I've just put some metal kings (with new rotors) from BNT in but have only done 500kms on the so can't comment yet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2004 18:34 
Hey Rabbit, just wondering if your brakes (factory - not the evo3 brakes :D ) would be the same as the ones on an asti ZR? (97 shape - CJ4A..i think). Coz im thinking about getting the same Mintex brakes and wonder if they'll fit right!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2004 21:23 

Pretty sure all mives share the same brakes and are teh same as the GSr of the same year too. The rears are the same as the evo 1-3 as well.