Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 16 Aug 2018 00:37

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CM5A Swaybar
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2014 23:04 

First of all please forgive me for asking a CM5A question on a MIVEC forum! But these things are hard to find info for and you guys know as at least as much as anywhere else (I also have a CJ4A if that redeems me at all).

Will an Evo III rear swaybar fit the CM5A Lancer GSR?

I've been running on the assumption that the suspension setup is pretty similar to the earlier CD5A Lancer GSR but from bits and pieces I've picked up recently I'm thinking I may be very wrong!
Can someone point me in the right direction here?
Basically I'm after a rear swaybar and some camber and castor adjustment and would like to know which other Lancer based machines have compatible parts.

Thank you in advance.

Post subject: Re: CM5A Swaybar
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2014 01:05 
Administrator

Errrr...maybe. Are you a member of MMC? If not, sign up and read this:

http://www.mmc.org.nz/forum/viewtopic.p ... 6&p=405856

There's other stuff too if you search for it...

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2014 03:54 

It's the same set up, though evo will have fabricated rather than pressed steel upper arms. Camber is adjustable as standard. There is no such thing as rear castor. Arb from evo 1-3 will fit but you will probably need new lower arms unless yours has an arb as standard. Lower arms from any colt/Lancer/mirage/proton with rear arb will work but you will have to select drop links with the lower mount that suits the arms.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2014 12:58 

Thanks for that guys, much appreciated!

Have now registered to MMC.

I'm looking for front castor and camber, didn't make that very clear sorry!
Aftermarket front camber bolts look to be pretty universal for 90s Lancers/Mirages so I think I'm sorted there, castor I'm not so sure about but I should hopefully be able to confirm on MMC once my account is activated.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2014 01:05 

Front castor is not really adjustable unless you went to fabricated rosejointed front bottom arms. However you can use EVO front bottom arms to increase both castor and camber, but it depends which hub carriers/knuckles you have as to which evo ones will fit

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2014 21:05 

Right, thought I'd add a follow up to what I ended up with as it probably applies to the CK4A Lancer as well.

Whiteline KCA412 Camber Bolts
These seem to cover all Lancer/Mirage models (of the era we're dealing with anyway) so no issues there. They gave me a degree of negative camber at the stock ride height, would get more out of it if I decided to lower the car.

Whiteline BMR56X 20mm Sway Bar
This part also covers the Evo I-III and CD5A GSR. The lack of bodyroll and increased firmness at the rear is quite noticable.

Whiteline KCA317X Anti-lift/Castor Correction Bushing
The CD5A GSR uses the same bushing here as the EVO I-VI (KCA429), the CM5A doesn't. Pretty easy to look under your car to work it out though. Got 3.5 degrees of positive castor with these.

These were installed along with new rear shocks (KYB Excel G, more or less OEM replacement, matching the fronts), replaced front swaybar bushes and rear control arm bushes so I can't 100% pinpoint what exactly what has made which changes to the handling characteristics. However, overall has less bodyroll, less understeer, turns in more sharply and generally feels firmer and more composed. I don't know if people realise how much of a handling improvement you can get without even having to touch the ride height (I certainly didn't before looking into this).

Are there more cost effective ways of achieving similar result using some Evo parts? Quite possibly for someone with a bit more knowledge, but I'm more than satisfied with the value for money I've gotten out of this approach.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2014 20:16 

[quote="noboost"

Are there more cost effective ways of achieving similar result using some Evo parts? Quite possibly for someone with a bit more knowledge, but I'm more than satisfied with the value for money I've gotten out of this approach.[/quote]

As I said above evo front bottom arms give more camber and castor. Using evo 2/3 ones I got 1.5 degrees negative camber and more castor though didn't measure it but the wheel moves forward 10mm, the difference in wheelbase from an evo 1 to a 2/3

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2014 22:22 

Sack of Spuds wrote:
As I said above evo front bottom arms give more camber and castor. Using evo 2/3 ones I got 1.5 degrees negative camber and more castor though didn't measure it but the wheel moves forward 10mm, the difference in wheelbase from an evo 1 to a 2/3

Do the different rear bushes for the front lower arms cause any issues there?

http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/products/W52662.JPG
versus
http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/products/W51775.jpg

I have the latter type, not sure what MIVECs use.