Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 24 Sep 2018 20:14

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2013 23:40 

I have a CA5A 1995 Mirage. I've been offered a pair of Evo 3 RS front hubs (with brakes) and bottom arms.

Will they fit straight on? I'm guessing they have wider track, will give more camber, more castor so driveshaft length maybe an issue?
Are the Evo 3 RS front hubs & brakes different to my Mirage ones?

Cheers

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013 10:08 

yes

-1.5 degrees camber and as you say more camber, I've had no issues with driveshaft, even with slightly increased ride height

Hubs themselves are 4x114 not 4x100

Not sure if the hub carriers are any different but dimensionally I believe they are interchangeable

At the rear the hub carriers are tensioned by the driveshaft nuts so either you need the rear swing arms and to use dummy cv's or I think you should be able to use the hubs from a Carisma or Volvo S40/V40 to give the matching PCD.

TBH though unless you really want the EVO wheel fitment you are better off leaving the hubs alone. Fit the following bits form EVO

Front bottom arms
Calipers complete with carriers using renault Clio 172/182 280mm discs, machine 1mm off the hub mounting face and machine the centre to fit the hub
Rear calipers are interchangeable with yours, they have slightly larger pistons that is all - discs are the same dimensions

You can fit the rear suspension arms but there is little to be gained, dimensionally they are the same but the bottom arm has a bracing plate along the bottom (so do Proton Satria GTi - not sure if Cyborgs have that as standard), and the other two arms are fabricated not pressed steel, so argueably stiffer, but they are not mega highly loaded anyway.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013 13:46 

Thanks for the info. Both the Evo and my Mirage front hubs are 4x114 and it sounds like they are the same so I'll just put the whole Evo hub/brake assembly on. That will save me from doing that nice little trick with Clio discs.

I wasn't offered the rear hubs or arms but it as you say there's little to be gained so it's no problem. Thanks for the info about the rear brakes though, didn't know they were different pistons.

Cheers