Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 13 Dec 2018 08:22

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2012 00:09 

Hi all

I've been "gifted" a job of fixing my BILs 4G93 SOHC libero. Its got 280k on the clock , panels of several colours and a third gear that rips yer hand off when it engages. The inside stinks of sweaty triathalon gear and rancid coffee and it all rattles like kicking a coke can down an alley.
Given the stink of burning oil when you are driving it , I've already replaced the rockerbox gasket FOC and had to panel beat bulges out of the seal guide that the last paid mechanic gave it. :roll: That fixed the stink but its still not good.

Its headed for the tip in the summer but I've got the challenge of getting it there on the "as cheap as possible." The long and the short is that it's consuming a liter of oil a week. My main problem is the head gasket has blown just below the oil pressure sender and its leaking oil a fairly furious rate.

I phoned Repco for a head set and that was $330 , by the time you add all the "other stuff" its probably more than its worth , especially if you include a new set of TTY bolts.

Anybody on here ever pulled the head off and kept the inlet and exhaust manifolds in place and broke the exhaust at the 4>2 joint. I dont think the head has ever been off so I'm hoping the bolts are still in spec. I'm hoping get away with just replaceing the head gasket and gumming the exhaust gasket.

I can you have ever wondered a 4g93 will run with approx 750ml of oil in the sump :shock: , thats when the oil light comes on when it starts to suck air. I've got a close up pic of the hole, if anybody is interested I'll post it.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2012 14:36 
Administrator

Even if you could, I doubt it would last. I admire your effort, but it sounds like this is terminal and you'd be far better off parting it out and getting something that still goes...