Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 23 May 2018 12:24

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mivec on a 4g94?
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 13:53 
Hello my name is Michael and I’m from the States. I have a 02 lancer Oz. And I have been looking into getting a dohc for it and I want to get the input of some experienced. You have been moding the 4g92 and 93 for a lot longer than the US has and I would like to learn a few of the tricks. Such as what head's would fit I don’t know if you have messed with the 94 but it has the same head as the 4g93 sohc. What do you think about putting mivec on a non mivec vehicle and do you think it would be worth it. Lastly what head would it be and how much do they run? Thanks Michael

Post subject: Re: Mivec on a 4g94?
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009 03:31 

*02lancer* wrote:
Hello my name is Michael and I’m from the States. I have a 02 lancer Oz. And I have been looking into getting a dohc for it and I want to get the input of some experienced. You have been moding the 4g92 and 93 for a lot longer than the US has and I would like to learn a few of the tricks. Such as what head's would fit I don’t know if you have messed with the 94 but it has the same head as the 4g93 sohc. What do you think about putting mivec on a non mivec vehicle and do you think it would be worth it. Lastly what head would it be and how much do they run? Thanks Michael

Well Michael, I am also from the US. All 4g9x heads are interchangeable. If you wanted to run a Mivec head on your g94, it would be the gen2 4g92 head. You need a bigger timing belt and other accessories to suit the mivec head. Yea it could be worth while but it has shown that the SOHC 4g93/94 head have the potential of revving up to 8k+ with a properly built head. Its all about what you want to do with the car and how much you want to spend.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009 14:28 
Really? From all the information i have been gathering the 4g94 head sucks. Highest HP lancer 4g94 is like 330 whp. And i thought it was due to a bad head design. Well maybe not bad just restrictive next month im taking the head to the flow bench to see what i can get out of it. But what is the major limiting factor/factors In the 4g94? were are you getting your information from. I usually am surfing Evolutionm.net. I guess what im trying to get to why take it to 7 or even 8k if it stops making power at say 6 which most dyno's i have seen it does. I know most people say to put a 93 intake and cam which i have both but not installing till a flow bench says it's better.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009 18:13 

Well you need to gather more info. The g93 and the g94 head are the same, guys in PR are pushing 500-700hp on turbo/nitrous motors all day, on either a g94 block or g93 block. Its all in the build and what internals you use. That 'highest' hp lancer hasnt even pushed his limits yet, he still has more to go. The head design isnt bad either. The reason the stock engine doesnt make power past "6k", is the camshaft. Its duration and lift arent meant to go that high. If you got a more aggressive camshaft, you can easily see 7k and the valve train and compression to support it maybe even 8k. My g93 makes power to 6500 on stock cam and pulls to redline. You just need to search some more to get all the info you want.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2009 15:19 
Thanks just one thing where are you gathering your information? I have read hundreds of threads on evolutionm.net. Is the dohc better vs. sohc? And the people building those 700hp 93/93 where are they getting there part's? Custom orders? I thank you for the help.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2009 17:09 

Forums, calling manufactures and companies, talking to people about what works/doesnt, pictures. There are other infomation sites out there than just EVOm. SOHC vs DOHC is up to the person, both have pros and cons. And those with big power are buying parts from engine internal manufactors and such, some are custom, some are OEM parts.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2009 18:20 
Mivec Guru

I'd have thought it obvious that a mivec head will always be far better than a non mivec head for one reason only.

Mr Mitsubishi spent a lot of money getting it right.

Then yet another know it all american comes along and trys to make out like an SOHC might be nearly as good...... WTF.

Steve

It's easier to fool someone than it is to convince someone that they've been fooled.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2009 20:45 

This is all very good if the fuel is forced by turbo or super charger,the head will flow to its max.But with an NA motor at high revs,a good cams(RS) can have a mivec motor spinning to 8000rpm,any more though it seems there is an issue with the inlet manifold and the dimension/ volume of the runners.Has any one encountered this before.Are there any after marked manifolds. Danmed Hondas have a variety! Magn1t any thoughts? Gra.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2009 01:35 

@ Mag

I didnt say I was a know it all "American', Ive just done my research to back everything up that I know. Just outta curiousity, whats the one reason your belief that the DOHC is truly better than the SOHC? Have you used a SOHC before? just a quick pic of the potential of the SOHC, on the left is a OEM IM gasket matched g93 port on the right is a 'rough' OEM IM gasket matched g92. Just look at the difference in a rough IM gasket porting. So, whats it to say that the SOHC cant flow as much as a DOHC? Im not trying to cause arguments with you guys, I just stating that both heads have pros and cons, care to differ?

Im vary aware that the g92 is far more superior than any other manufactured 4g9x model, when the g92 was introduced it was competing against honda's b16. Now all g93/g94 are eco-boxes and had a tremendous down grade in performance. But whats to say that even the idea of a g93/g94 cant have similiar power gains or potential revs or potential high comp motors?

@ Gram, Im unaware of an Aftermarkert Intake Manifold solution for our motors. I have seen custom sheet metal IM's though.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2009 12:25 
Mivec Guru

The only research that matters involves getting the hands dirty.

Most people do their research on a PC keyboard which to me is a complete waste of time.

Flow of the ports is irrelevent if you don't take note of the valve lift which leads to cams. Mivec cams are superior in every way to a stock SOHC cam. Why upgrade a stock SOHC cam when you can have mivec?

Steve

It's easier to fool someone than it is to convince someone that they've been fooled.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2009 13:09 

Im aware of getting the hands dirty, the current pic of the head hasn't been flowed yet due to the porting progress now. As mentioned earlier, its a no brainer that the Mivec is far superior, so why restate? Why upgrade, well due to resources and lack of availability of MIVEC parts here in the US. The g93/g94 is a goldmine here. I was just stating most people underrate the SOHC potential.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2009 02:29 
i witness the SOHC potential :shock:

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2009 00:05 
So, now that fact is that the 4g92 is greater than the 4g93???im confious

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009 14:13 
Mivec Guru

There's the american way of doing things, then there's the cheap way.

Getting slightly off track , use a 6G72 as an example.

Surf any US forum.....it's all about the parts suppliers making lots of money, they even tell porkies and get people banned who disagree (ah the joys of forum sponsorship).

Starting with a non mivec...you'll need a ported TT head (stock N/A head actually flows bettter)
Ported rubbish is still rubbish.
Add to that valves, springs , titanium spring retainers,solid lash adjusters, cams....I couldn't be bothered adding up the price in $US but you can add it up yourself from the 3sx website.....maybe about US$4K or more, or in our case here, landed, freight, GST, probably about NZ$8K (obviously a 4G will be cheaper).
The end result is still inferior to a stock mivec setup which we can get from a junkyard for NZ$300 ish, but needing a bit of work.
Then of course if you have some sort of tuning accident you might trash everything and need to start again.
The main disadvantage of a SOHC is that the cams can't be dialled in , or at least not as easily (cheaply) as a DOHC.

With reference to gasket porting /matching as previously mentioned....most heads are mismatched. They're made that way on purpose to reduce/prevent reversion. Matching the gaskets might provide a bit more up top power but at the expense of mid range. If you'd read books on head porting you'd know this to be true.

Reading books is always the best way to learn as there's too many idiots and conmen on the internet, especially where there's lots of americans.

Edit

Check this out, purely as an example.....even after thousands in mods it's still short of a stock mivec by about 10 horses.

http://www.3sx.com/store/cars-3sx/cars-eric.asp

The before and after dynos show a 40 horse increase yet the before dyno looks very sick at 5250.

Steve

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009 14:41 
Hi people
I see here that you dont now the sohc we have in here(puerto rico)all sohc
take a look in you tube...............

but if you want to send me a dohc to my island i will apreciate....