Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 27 May 2018 04:42

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2008 15:05 
Is it possible to machine a rod, longer in length of the mivec rocker pins, and secure it properly in the rocker, to permanently hold together the rockers, so that the engine is running on the hi cam all the time?

This would be useful for the worn-out heads, that lose oil pressure, insufficient to engage mivec.

Been done before? Bart?

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2008 16:10 

5-6 years ago one of my vtec frens with a b18c gsr did the same thing. i dunno how he did it but i think he locked the rocker arms for the vtec to engage full time. the sound was aggresive and idling was bad. until now noone i know has tried it . i have seen a few cars with the toda vtec killer cams both on track and drag racings. thats about it. never heard, read or seen any mivec doing it yet.

here some of the toda killer cams on you tubes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHVCyj4GqPo&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npNbNk7d4Wg

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2008 16:10 
Administrator

You could just pull the pins up with a screw and washer so that it stays up. Thats what I did when checking clearances during the build.

I don't think it would run very well below 3 or 4 thousand RPM and I don't think it would idle at all, at least not with the standard ECU.

Waikato@Heart - supporting heart kids through life
Bart Dinger Electronics

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2008 16:23 
Bart wrote:
You could just pull the pins up with a screw and washer so that it stays up. Thats what I did when checking clearances during the build.

I don't think it would run very well below 3 or 4 thousand RPM and I don't think it would idle at all, at least not with the standard ECU.

Thanks.

I was concerned about the screw and washer option, for the danger of it being removed and tossed about in the head. Is there a danger of this happening?

Yes it will not run very well below 4, but it will be a track car only.

Ah won't idle? I suppose it would have to be set at 2k or 2.5 k rpm to idle?

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2008 17:19 
Administrator

I think if you loctite them in they should be fine. The reason they do it on honda's with the vtec killer cams is to remove mass from the valvetrain. Just fixing the mechanism doens't do that, unless you replace the rockers and cams as well.

Bart Dinger Electronics

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2008 20:59 
Administrator

Bart wrote:
I don't think it would idle at all

Apparently, it does idle. Paul did it to my car during the rebuild. He said it sounded cool, but ran like crap...

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2008 02:55 
Damian wrote:
Bart wrote:
I don't think it would idle at all

Apparently, it does idle. Paul did it to my car during the rebuild. He said it sounded cool, but ran like crap...

Thanks Damian. What mod did he do to lock the cam followers?

Haha I bet it really sounded cool. Up to what rpm did it run like crap? Up to original switch-over point? I'm guessing it ran decent at around, 4500 rpm?

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2008 10:28 
Administrator

gsr4g92 wrote:
[What mod did he do to lock the cam followers?

He didn't, he just ran 12V to the Mivec solinoid and left it activated. He just wanted to make sure that the solinoid was working fine, so I don't think he changed the idle, just revved it manually...

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2008 18:48 
Damian wrote:
gsr4g92 wrote:
[What mod did he do to lock the cam followers?

He didn't, he just ran 12V to the Mivec solinoid and left it activated. He just wanted to make sure that the solinoid was working fine, so I don't think he changed the idle, just revved it manually...

ah so you really did not run the car to see how torque was at low rpm...ok no problem. Thanks man.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2008 04:44 
If its gonna be a dedicated track car, why don;t you transplant an engine WITHOUT variable valve timing and install full race cams?

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2008 11:42 
Ross wrote:
If its gonna be a dedicated track car, why don;t you transplant an engine WITHOUT variable valve timing and install full race cams?

You have a point. But it does not help the topic. :D

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2008 12:22 

Location: Making things Dirty =;-P (Auckland care of muddy gravel roads)
Ross wrote:

or have a cam made up that has in a sence 2 performance lobes, a rally profile on one and then a drag profile on the higher cam....

Make the multicam lobe work for you...

I made it to trackday...

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2008 13:27 
Administrator

Thats basically what the JUN cams do.

Bart Dinger Electronics

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2008 15:25 
I know this is a pretty old thread now, but just today I hooked up a 12v Shift Light to my Apexi RSM. Damian just mentioned running 12v to the solenoid, so if you have a spare Apexi RSM lying around, just hook up the Rev Output wire to a relay, splice into you cigarette lighter 12v power and attach a wire to the solenoid instead of a shift light. Then you can set when Mivec kicks in anywhere from 100 RPM to 9990 RPM :wink:

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2008 17:47 
kLOTTiS wrote:
I know this is a pretty old thread now, but just today I hooked up a 12v Shift Light to my Apexi RSM. Damian just mentioned running 12v to the solenoid, so if you have a spare Apexi RSM lying around, just hook up the Rev Output wire to a relay, splice into you cigarette lighter 12v power and attach a wire to the solenoid instead of a shift light. Then you can set when Mivec kicks in anywhere from 100 RPM to 9990 RPM :wink:

No prob. Yes, that's a cool idea.

What I was really after was to keep mivec engaged, irregardless of oil pressure being generated by the pump. Its a temporary fix, for an already ailing engine, that may need to be reworked, to bring tolerances back to spec. :wink: