Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 24 Oct 2018 08:15

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2014 17:57 

Spent another couple of days on the Mirage engine and didn’t quite finish it unfortunately.

Got the pistons out and gave the cylinders a hone. They were definitely showing their age after 200,000+ kms but they came up pretty clean with nice cross-hatching that’s not very apparent in the photo. Yes I had a rag protecting the crank whilst honing!

I then dropped the main crank cradle and fitted new main bearings. You can tap the upper shells around carefully in situ. The old bearings certainly weren’t stuffed but were showing their age for sure.

Pistons received new rings, had to check the ring gaps but they were perfect out of the box.
Also fitted some ARP rod bolts while I had the rods out as I figured it would be a good idea if I ever up the rev limit above 8000. Incidentally they fit heaps of different mitsi engines including evo.

The head was looking pretty good but I figured it would be a good idea to get it skimmed due to replacing the headgasket. While it was at the shop it received a good clean, hardness test, light skim, new stem seals, valves lapped and a pressure test. Thanks Jase for organising it for me.

Went with a standard composite gasket as I wasn’t aware the gen 2 mls gasket fitted but I also figure its not a silly idea when the block hasn’t been skimmed so can’t get the required surface finish that the mls requires for a proper seal.

The head got bolted back on with brand new head bolts as they are a single use item from memory. Was also an opportune time to replace the idlers and tensioners as well as the water pump and crank seal. Unfortunately the new cambelt they sent me was for a 4g93 and 2 teeth too short. I ended up fitting the old cambelt because I couldn’t be bothered sending it back or ordering another. The old one looked fairly new with all its writing in place and no sign of perishing etc.
When Jase did the clutch he mentioned the engine mounts were stuffed. Wasn’t till I dropped the north south beam that I realised just how stuffed they were! 3 of the 4 were basically hanging by the steel rings, when you jacked up one side of the engine it would raise 50mm! Hunted round the garage for something 2 pot to fill them with… bog, paint or fibreglass resin… hmmm… I went with fibreglass resin. It’s a bit of an experiment so will see how it goes, they are rock solid now but will be interesting if they just shatter and fall to bits once they get load on them.

Next time I’m home I’ll refit the engine covers, crank pulley, exhaust and wiring etc and run the engine in ready for the first event of the season in late august.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2014 22:45 

Got the car all back together the other day. Replaced the radiator and heater hoses while i was at it.

The engine was a little tight once the head went on which was a bit concerning but once it started it was fine, random!
What was even more concerning was the smoke on start up, it didn't go away after a few minutes either. It took a full 5km of driving on and off the gas to get something seated and it cleaned up nicely. Hasn't puffed any smoke since so who knows why it did what it did.

After bedding in the rings for 100km with running in oil i dropped the oil and put in some new synthetic oil. Took the car out again tonight and revved it out to 8000. Engine goes so much better with the bung thing removed from the intake manifold! Really looking forward to seeing how the new found power helps with lap times and general acceleration.

Also decided not to bother fitting these intake manifold brackets. Its cast alloy so not very likely to crack especially with the limited use this car gets.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2014 18:01 

I don't use the bracket on the back of the block cos it's to short. but still use the one on the throttle body for support but it is pretty solid

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2014 16:22 

The Mirage has had a bit of attention this week starting with the breather system.
When i had the rocker cover off for the rebuild i drilled and tapped some holes and installed some pipe fittings from the local hardware store.
I blatant plagiarised Dirks design from my evo (sorry Dirk!) and whipped it up using some old panel steel i had lying around the garage and mounted it with the factory airbox bracket.

Have kept the factory pcv valve at the back and blocked off the normal breather pipe out of the end of the rocker cover as oil just flows straight out and into the intake pipe i’ve found. No sign of anything in the can after this weekend’s racing so the design works well and the new rings must have bedded in ok.

Next project was to lighten the doors so i trimmed away some of the door skin being careful to keep the window motor and window rails etc still mounted firmly as everything had to function still.
Then i remove the centre section of the side intrusion beam carefully using a grinder and some stainless wedged in behind the bar to avoid damaging the outer door skin!
In total i saved 8kg from the doors, 5kg from the alloy bonnet swap and 2 from the manifold brackets.

Fitted some flush bonnet catches to the bonnet. I didn’t realise how much of an angry face it has until taking it outside ha ha!

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2014 16:23 

Had our first clubsport hit out event last weekend which is a non points event to get back into the swing of things after the winter break. Its the usual format of a motorkhana in the morning with 2 sealed courses and 1 on grass then a sealed autocross in the afternoon.
Rach is very pregnant so was a bit gutted she couldn’t enter but she should be right for the 1st or 2nd rounds later this year.
I started out well setting the best time for the course but came 3rd on the next course and 2nd on the last one so a 2nd overall for the motorkhana.
Here’s a vid of my winning run, worked out the secret is heating up the rear race pads beforehand to get the hydraulic handbrake to work better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7C0MM85r0Y

The sprint in the afternoon didn’t start well, was a bit eager and lost the rear end early on in the run which sent me towards a tractor tyre... lucky it was empty and not full of concrete or dirt!

Luckily, the damage is only cosmetic and i reattached the front lip with a self tapping screw

The other 2 runs went well on a particularly tight course and i came 5th overall out of 23 so not too bad. I really really need an LSD though as the engine is now making full power and i’m spinning up the inside wheel everywhere and losing a heap of time. The engine is running really well and no more smoke so i’m very happy with that at least.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2014 16:24 

One thing that failed miserably was the fibreglass resin! Its too brittle and shattered in no time so i bought some 2 pot polyurethane from element 14 and redid the mounts properly this time by removing all the old rubber first and roughing up the steel. It worked a treat and only cost $56.

http://nz.element14.com/robnor/el171c-5 ... /dp/725973

Thats all for now, next break i’ll fix up the bumper and enter the first round of our clubsport championship and hopefully finish near the top of the leaderboard this season.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014 00:27 

loz wrote:
Decided to the give the Mirage engine a birthday since i've been waiting on gearbox bits to fix the evo and have a week at home.

Got the head off and all the bolt ons ready to drop the sump and tear out the pistons.

When i got the head on the bench and removed the intake manifold i found something fairly peculiar... some sort of steel frost plug type device jammed into the number 1 intake runner! I shook the manifold to try and wriggle it out but it was seriously wedged in place... a long screwdriver got it loose but i couldn't get it out so had to remove the throttle body. Its got me stumped... any ideas where this may have come from?
The engine has always felt a little strangled at high rpm and this might explain it ha ha. I'm picking that cylinder would be very rich to the point of bore washing and might be the source of the smoking.

suspect some time in it's life the plug on the end of the intake manifold came out under vacuum and got sucked into the manifold and ended up in the number 1 cylinder and a lazy fix was put in to replace the bung without investigating where it went

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2014 21:02 

Had first round of the clubsport season last weekend, car went really well in the motorkhana and is proving to be very competitive especially in the tarmac tests. If i hadn't stuffed up and skidded through the final garage on one of the tests i would have nearly won the day but ended up coming 4th out of 21 entries.
Sprint also went well with an 8th out of 31 cars. The gearbox was not shifting over 6500rpm and had some death whine going on so i was pretty happy considering.

The other week i picked up an old early 90's galant gearbox after researching the gearbox codes and finding out they share all the same ratios etc to the mivec mirage boxes.
This gave me a donor box so i could make one good box out of the 2. Turns out the galant box was like brand new inside with really sharp synchro components and no real wear. Same couldn't be said for the mivec box... everything was mushroomed and severely worn so it all got binned and the galant bits fitted. While there i fitted a second set of synchro key springs and increased the preload on the intermediate shaft.

Dirk has kindly leant me his raliart mechanical plate LSD so that got fitted with the mirage style taper bearings and the factory crownwheel.

While i was there i figured i'd fit the new north south beam i'd made up except it didn't fit :x
Turns out the fwd mirage has a different shape north south beam and a different mounting arrangement at the rear due to the subframe being different to the evo. ah well, i have another evo frame spare now. Will have to make up something at the later date based on a similar design.

Also got a bit more professional with the last engine mount and turned up a cap out of 12mm plastic to plug the bottom of the mount while i poured in the polyurethane.

Took the car for a drive this afternoon and wow what a difference!
Revved the engine to 8000 in the lower gears and it upshifted perfectly for the first time in our ownership.
Also really noticed the mechanical LSD, it just jumps forward when you launch and i can now keep my foot flat during tight bends whereas before it would light up an inside tyre. There was no pulling on the wheel or anything too noticeable so the perfect setup and should be hugely noticeable at the next motorkhana, especially on grass where the single spinner is most noticeable. :)

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2014 20:25 

Good work this things coming along really nicely.
I need to get mine sorted and back on track.
What was the urethane you used for the mounts and where did you get it?

Thanks

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2014 09:42 

cheers man

its from element 14 and $27 for 560ml

if you spend $50 you get free shipping so i always buy two packets which is just enough to do all 4 mounts.
http://nz.element14.com/robnor/el171c-5 ... /dp/725973

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014 20:03 

What did you end up doing with the 17s that where on the car ?

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014 14:23 

ian_johnston wrote:
What did you end up doing with the 17s that where on the car ?

I sold them for about $100 from memory as 2 had cracks and were leaking air. The buyer just wanted the tyres i think.

Haven't been up to too much on the car of late.
I purchased one of those speedlab chips off trade me as a bit of an experiment and the fueling needs quite a bit of tweaking (14.0 afr at 7000rpm).
Hopefully the seller comes to the party and adjusts the fueling to suit my recommendations or i will have wasted $129.

Had a clubsport motorkhana on Sunday morning which i came 3rd in, REALLY notice the LSD!!!
Way better off the line but was on the grass where it really shone. Huge advantage over the open diff cars.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2014 13:41 

love the engine mounts :) . I wish they sold that stuff here.

I would have left the oem door bars in place, the 3-4kg isn't worth compromising your side impact protection.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2014 09:00 

yeah i wouldn't normally but we have a full cage complete with side intrusion bars and none of your events involve other cars on the track

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014 05:53 

I did not notice the cage. In that case the factory door bars have got to go! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next