Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 22 Jul 2018 17:22

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2014 21:15 

Had a fun practice day out on the grass infield at Teretonga on Sunday. Got some much needed practice in handbrake turns and car control on damp grass in preparation for the Clubsport Nationals in Waimate next weekend.
2 things became very apparent, 17inch chromes with half worn low profiles tyres are rubbish as is an open diff... unfortunately i can't do too much about the diff in a handful of days but i did manage to address the tyre situation.
My mate sold me a set of old 15x6.5 wheels cheap and a family friend hooked us up with some cheap tyres. There are heaps of rules around grasskhana and autocross tyres but thankfully these fall within the rules including being less than 8.5mm tread and less than 8mm between the blocks on the outer edge. A very quick (less than 10 minutes) silver rattle can paint job was then completed, turned out pretty good i reckon but it does exaggerate the wheel to guard gap somewhat!

Been pinged for lack of aftermarket tow hooks twice now so had to come up with something or they probably would have failed it at scrutineering a 3rd time. Some simple straps mounted to the chassis should suffice along with appropriate stickers.

The clutch cylinder mysteriously had no fluid in it and wouldn't select gear this morning so will have to keep an eye on that but at least the engine is behaving itself after adding some stop smoking treatment :lol:
Didn't use any oil or smoke half as bad as last time so it should get us through the last 2 events of the season and i'll rebuild it then along with painting the rest of the car... i bought an evo bonnet for $1 so a front end conversion may take place yet, we'll see.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2014 16:09 

Had a fun weekend up in Waimate for the NZ clubsport championship nationals.
We decided against rebuilding the engine during the week as it didn't use any oil or smoke half as bad after adding the stop smoke additive to it during practice. Rach and I were both fairly unsure of what to expect especially when we had heard how serious some of these guys are. The top guys were changing struts between events and even changing spring rates quickly halfway through events and 2 guys actually had tyre warmers for the hillclimb!

It rained overnight but luckily stayed dry for the first day. This meant the motorkhana was super greasy which was to our advantage as it was similar to our practice day locally. Had to be very careful not to over rotate as 90deg handbrakes very easily turned into 180’s and it was very hard coming to a stop within the garages. The mirage went very well especially with the new tyres and I came 6th and Rach 18th out of 27.

The autocross was also very greasy and wet even in the afternoon not to mention extremely bumpy. I even thought of pulling out as the poor car was far too low and stiff but we carried on anyway. No traction in a straight line, very little cornering grip with extreme understeer and little braking either… fun!
Soon discovered high gears low revs worked best and enabled quite good acceleration and some well-timed handbrake soon took care of the understeer. The sun came out late in the afternoon and dried the grass quite a bit so the times plummeted. Rach had a wetter run with a 21st place and I got 7th overall beating an evo and a couple of wrxs surprisingly.

(Have to ignore my stolen pics, I have actually purchased them legitimately but still waiting for them to come through)

The weather forecast for the Sunday hillclimb was rubbish so we weren’t looking forward to the next day but luckily the micro climate in the hills meant overcast and sometimes sunny conditions and no rain. The youtube vids made it look super scary with what seemed like a never ending straight with open corners afterwards but after the recce run it wasn’t so bad at all. Both me and Rach took it fairly easy on the first run coming 10th and 15th respectively. Checked the oil and it was down 400ml after the 2 runs do’h!
Round 2 came up and I went much harder, braking later into the hairpin and attacking the corners much harder then bang bang boom! Apparently it sounded like gunshots going off from down at the startline but all I remember was the engine losing a whole lot of power and not being able to continue up the hill. The new tow straps work however!

Got back into the pits with the aid of gravity and some pushing back to the pits. Checked the cam timing first to see if it jumped some teeth. Amazingly all these parts came out of nowhere like an ignitor, map sensor, coil pack and an ecu! None had any effect on the rough running and the red herring was an apparent lack of spark to only cylinder 2 and 3. We put the car on the trailer and called it a day which was really gutting as the other mirage we’d been battling with and beating all weekend came a fairly strong 10th which would have put me in 6th overall.

Got the car home and pulled the fault codes… nothing. Checked for spark and they were all now firing… noticed the engine kicking back on the starter but with plugs out it spun up fine. Decided the CAS was most likely at fault and then Jase said he’d had experience with the trigger wheels coming loose. Sure enough the screw was loose allowing the timing to vary by some obscene amount and 5 minutes later it was purring again. Ah well that’s motorsport.

Next even is a 3 event in one day event, drags, bent sprint and a flying superlap. Not sure how the poor engine will cope but hopefully it’ll be fine if we keep topping up the oil between runs. Really must rebuild the engine before further damage occurs.

Oh, and if anyone knows of any cheap damaged or non-road legal mivec fto’s for sale in the south island please let me know as I have a bit of a plan in the off season.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2014 20:26 

Good job man. I mean both of you :-D

Keep the updates flowing

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014 13:39 

morpheus23 wrote:
Good job man. I mean both of you :-D

Keep the updates flowing

Thanks dude, i'm glad someone reads this :lol:

While I’m out of the country Rach entered the Eastern Southland car club sprints at Teretonga yesterday. This consisted of a ¼ mile drag, a sprint around the pits and entry roads and part of the racetrack and a time attack style superlap at the end.

The car hadn’t even been off the trailer since the last hillclimb and promptly started leaking coolant on the ground. We spotted this little present from the previous owner when they looped the heater hoses after removal but hadn’t got round to fixing it. Luckily a mate came to the rescue and managed to cobble something together to fix the leak before the first event. Ironically if it had the second o-ring fitted it probably would have kept working!

They had a 1300-1600 class so the mirage slotted into that alongside a quick fxgt, a fwd trueno rally car and a couple of starlets.
Rach got a best ¼ mile time of 16.45 which was 3rd in class. I was expecting it to be about a second quicker but comparing it to a bunch of wrx’s doing low 15’s, an evo 5 doing 16.3 and a few legacies doing high 14’s I have reasonable suspician the ¼ mile may have been slightly longer!

The sprint went fairly well with a 4th in class.

Flying laps went really well with Rach getting a new pb for Teretonga of 1.17.92 which is half a second faster than my best time in the car and good enough for 2nd in class and 11th overall out of 21.

Next event is the final round of the SSCC clubsport championship next weekend which I will also be entering in the evo and after that the engine will finally get a birthday and it will hopefully lose its “smokey joe” nickname.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2014 22:34 

Had the final round of the Southland sports car clubsport championship last weekend and good old smokey came to the rescue after i broke the evo on the recce run. Lucky Rach was already entered so we shared the car. I came very close to beating a very quick civic but they got me by 0.2 of a second. Ended up with 5th which i was super stoked with as i had to work very hard... I probably would have cleaned up in the evo but thats motorsport for you.
Rach did very well too coming 12th out of 27 and here's a vid to prove she's not driving like a girl ha ha.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdXc1vaXi8I

Decided to try and improve the shifting as its definitely not the best. First thing was to ditch the hacksawed off shifter and fit a factory full length one.

This then meant the shifter hit the hydraulic handbrake when you selected 3rd and 5th... ended up using my new hydraulic press to bend the handbrake over towards the steering wheel and the shifter slightly to the passengers side. Can now grab the handbrake easier and still select all gears without smashing knuckles (and yes that is a Stanley screwdriver extension!).

Had some spare bearings (believe skateboard bearings are the same) so pressed out the sloppy rubber bushes and pressed in the new bearings.
The shifting is now a lot more positive with less slop and for some reason isn't crunching into first anymore which is a bit random. Will have to head out for a bit of a hoon to test the shifting but i suspect it'll be much better than before.

Thats it for this season, will buy a track pass next month to hang some laps whenever we want and i'll get stuck into the engine rebuild once the evo is fixed.

PostPosted: 13 May 2014 22:46 

Scored a cheap evo fuel tank the other week so figured it would be a simple swap to stop the fuel surge.

First problem was the evo tank runs 2 sender units so the wiring didn't plug straight in and i didn't have a suitable plug to go into the evo pump.
Lucky i had another car with that system so i copied the wiring to run the 2 senders in series and managed to use small speaker electrical crimps instead of the factory plug.

Next problem was the evo tank came with a walbro 255... a slight overkill for the little 1600!
This meant swapping in the factory mirage pump which is actually shorter incidentally as the evo tank is deeper. I mounted the pump as low as possible and bent down the filter sock a little.

Then i went to lift the tank into place and it hit the exhaust.... the evo tank is wider... of course there was no join until the headers so i cut off the rear section in front of the tank and managed to weld in a v-band in situ. Then mounted the rear muffler back where it originally was and welded in a new pipe taking advantage of the new tunnel so the exhaust can be straight right to the back of the car.

The engine fired straight up but the gauge isn't matched perfectly to the new senders. Pried off the fuel level needle and pushed it back on in the right place. Will need to fill the tank up to check it reads full but should be fine. Definitely not the 2 hour job i first anticipated but should be well worth the effort and stop the dreaded fuel surge.

PostPosted: 19 May 2014 01:43 

Love the car! top work!

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2014 17:11 

Quote:
Thanks dude, i'm glad someone reads this :lol:

LoL. yes I pop in every now and then. Love the updates and progress.

And the fact that your wife shares the same passion just ups the awesomeness. Good for you! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2014 16:46 

A while back I bid $1 on an alloy evo bonnet and won the auction.

As you can see in the photos it was quite a mess after being in a frontal accident but I figured I could do something to rectify that and it had all the vents as well.

The mirage bonnet is 15kg and this is 9kg so a worthwhile weight saving even though I had to add 1 kg of filler to try and get it straight again!
The main issue is the front of the mirage tapers down 10cm before a normal lancer so the bonnet hangs out in front of the lights and doesn’t curve down. The crashed side fitted quite nice as it was bent down which meant I had to beat and bend the good side down to match!
After that I marked out the new curvature around the lights, added a few extra mm and trimmed back the inner skin underneath. This then meant I could fold over the outer skin and make it look factory again.

Spent quite a few hours getting to this point and ended up priming it black so I can see exactly what still needs finishing to make it straight again. Its not looking too bad and passible until we go and paint the whole car later on. There’s also an option of taking a mould from the bonnet and going fibreglass to get the weight down to 5 or 6kg but we’ll see about that later.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2014 13:33 
Administrator

loz wrote:
There’s also an option of taking a mould from the bonnet and going fibreglass to get the weight down to 5 or 6kg but we’ll see about that later.

You could just take a mould from the original mirage bonnet. Then the guards, then the boot :twisted:

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2014 14:30 

ha ha thats very true!

i guess i like the bonnet bulge and vents :mrgreen:

be cool to make up some moulds off the current panels. must teach myself how to do it sometime.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2014 22:11 

Decided to the give the Mirage engine a birthday since i've been waiting on gearbox bits to fix the evo and have a week at home.

Got the head off and all the bolt ons ready to drop the sump and tear out the pistons.

When i got the head on the bench and removed the intake manifold i found something fairly peculiar... some sort of steel frost plug type device jammed into the number 1 intake runner! I shook the manifold to try and wriggle it out but it was seriously wedged in place... a long screwdriver got it loose but i couldn't get it out so had to remove the throttle body. Its got me stumped... any ideas where this may have come from?
The engine has always felt a little strangled at high rpm and this might explain it ha ha. I'm picking that cylinder would be very rich to the point of bore washing and might be the source of the smoking.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2014 22:17 

:lol: wow that's very wierd

What's the plans while it's apart?
Gen 2 gasket for extra compression
Tickle up the ports a little

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2014 21:31 

Nothing too serious.

Really just hone, rings and bearings but am lightly skimming the head and fitting a new gasket etc.
After looking at the manifold and cylinder head i'm probably not going to bother tidying them up, they are soooo much nicer than the evo castings i'm used to. This is very much a budget race car so not doing anything too fancy and i need it back up and running for the club sport season shoot out next month. Should hopefully go a bit better with to all 4 cylinders :)

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2014 19:57 

Haha I've found that exact same thing in one of the runners of a old mivec mirage i used to have! :lol: no idea how it could have gotten there either.

Car looks great btw love the flares too :D must admit i found the factory shifter length better for smooth gears etc and also the bearings are much more precise

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next