Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 22 Jul 2018 04:49

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2013 14:42 

That's pretty impressive, I could do with that setup in my car! Oh well, just have to stick with standard for now until I can save some more pennies. :roll:

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013 08:33 

that shifter cable won't last long :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013 09:50 

Its not like that now obviously, the whole shifter/cables/bracket have been modifyed to clear and has heat wrap etc, plus the headers have been HPC'd so they dont get anywhere near as hot as factory
On a different note, we all know Mivec engines make more torque than Vtec engines but i didnt realise how dramatic it was

An example on the same dyno(STM) 1 week after my car was done, here is the comparison

EG CIVIC - B18CR
146KW@WHEELS AND 804NM TORQUE

RED MIRAGE - 4G93MIVEC
157KW@WHEELS AND 1056NM TORQUE

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013 10:50 
Mivec Guru

I think both torque figures are misleading as they're at the wheels , the figure depends on the gear ratio, so for fair comparison you need the FW torque figures.

Steve

It's easier to fool someone than it is to convince someone that they've been fooled.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013 16:31 

Yeah fair call i might try and get that off STM if i can just to compare, this particular honda had a twin printout dyno sheet and also showed 164nm which is what our factory quoted torque figure is for the 4G92 Mivec, i suspect mine is probably around the 200ish nm if i was to guess going off his torque :D

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013 09:11 

Share a little detail about the setup , since i cannot really figure it out. is it gen 1 head ? what cams etc ? any modification to bottom end to make this reverse head work ?

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013 20:24 

Im not keen on telling all, but making 210hp @ wheels for 93mivec doesnt come easy, people must know that by now surely, you cant do it by just slapping the mivec head on a 93 block, it takes alot of work, every component has been changed with a better one (i mean everything) or has been modifyed to suit, i think its important to say it made that power figure on pump gas (98RON)

Personally i think it still has more in it, my opinion is while it got tuned well there is a very good garage in Wellington that is very keen to get some improvements out of it so at some stage in the near future is going to put it on another dyno and look at trumpet lengths and possibly going to a 2.75inch exhaust, along with putting some serious attention to the timing. What im saying is it has been tuned well but could be better with some time :D

At the moment im trying to get it all Motorsport NZ ready so i can get a WOF and Rego, as it needs a really good drive, but its an animal to drive, night and day difference over the old setup :D

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013 20:46 
Mivec Guru

BTW I think your ITB setup is by far the best one I've ever seen. In particular, having them at the front for extra room.
After reading about the ITBs on the S2000 site, I'd say yours has a lot of room for improvement by making them the right length.
With the S2000s, when made longer they picked up power right through the RPM range to the point where longer ones wouldn't fit, they didn't get as far as losing power anywhere.That's if I read it right?
Key word......the right length.
You'll probably need curved ones.
Anyway , you've done the hard part, trumpets are a fairly simple bolt on mod now, just got to make them and make them fit.

Steve

It's easier to fool someone than it is to convince someone that they've been fooled.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013 02:46 

Cameron wrote:
Im not keen on telling all, but making 210hp @ wheels for 93mivec doesnt come easy, people must know that by now surely, you cant do it by just slapping the mivec head on a 93 block, it takes alot of work, every component has been changed with a better one (i mean everything) or has been modifyed to suit, i think its important to say it made that power figure on pump gas (98RON)

Personally i think it still has more in it, my opinion is while it got tuned well there is a very good garage in Wellington that is very keen to get some improvements out of it so at some stage in the near future is going to put it on another dyno and look at trumpet lengths and possibly going to a 2.75inch exhaust, along with putting some serious attention to the timing. What im saying is it has been tuned well but could be better with some time :D

At the moment im trying to get it all Motorsport NZ ready so i can get a WOF and Rego, as it needs a really good drive, but its an animal to drive, night and day difference over the old setup :D

we want 1/4 time , mine is 13.7 s on radials :mrgreen: 190 HP @ wheels ( civic )

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013 11:11 

Summitswift, how fast is your Colt?
And is this the B20VTEC Civic you're talking about?

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013 23:27 

magn1t wrote:
BTW I think your ITB setup is by far the best one I've ever seen. In particular, having them at the front for extra room.
After reading about the ITBs on the S2000 site, I'd say yours has a lot of room for improvement by making them the right length.
With the S2000s, when made longer they picked up power right through the RPM range to the point where longer ones wouldn't fit, they didn't get as far as losing power anywhere.That's if I read it right?
Key word......the right length.
You'll probably need curved ones.
Anyway , you've done the hard part, trumpets are a fairly simple bolt on mod now, just got to make them and make them fit.

Steve

Thanks Steve, Yeah at the moment i have 70mm long straight trumpets and havnt tried any other lengths, your bang on we were talking the other day about curved trumpets, we should be able to get a fair bit of lenght out of them being curved so a bit of dyno time and trial and hopefully have some success

Will keep you posted

As for drag runs, didnt build the car for that maybe one day for a laugh but due to the cage i think i have to run in pro import so i dont really see the point other than seeing how many axles i can break :lol:

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013 22:47 

Spetz wrote:
Summitswift, how fast is your Colt?
And is this the B20VTEC Civic you're talking about?

yes , but it's decked b20 block with b16 rods , so more like 1.7 engine. She goes like that ..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zLmXSzOA-g
It's very unlikely that i will modify Mivec due to cost and lack of time now, but when i finish my car I want to swap 4G63 into it.

Post subject: Re: 1996 Red Mirage RS
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2013 08:41 

Cameron wrote:
I run a Link G4 Aftermarket ECU, however if i had another mivec i would make quads run on the factory ecu :lol:

I am putting Itbs on my 4g92 mivec and looking for an ecu, found an evo apexi power fc for sale would that work or do you have other suggestions? and from your experience what else would need doing to set up the itbs?

thanks

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013 04:13 

Cameron wrote:
I got the arms made, they are Chro -Moly, they have an adjustable rose joint end on the inner to change track/camber/toe, and run factory EVO 4-6 bushes where the arm meets the trailing arm and where the shock bolts to the arm, i only run coilovers but were designed to drop lower than a factory EVO arm so if you were to run these for example on an EVO the car would sit lower in the rear, absolutley irrelevant though when you have coilovers, its the adjustment that was the major reason for going this way as my car runs 20mm wider in the rear and then has a 20mm spacer added, so its 40 mm wider in the rear than factory and approx 50-60mm wider in the front than factory, at the moment an evo 5 front guard only just clears the front wheel :lol:

Hi Cam i have a question. If you would just kindly share with me; Are the evo coilovers you are running on longer in length than Gen2 coilovers? which would also mean the stroke of Evo coilover dampers are longer than Gen2s? I see that your rear arms have a lower mounting position for the Evo coilovers. I was wondering if i had a pair of custom lower arms made, and retained the original lower mounting positions (unlike yours which are lower)... do the Evo coilovers have enough adjust-ability to go low enough for 15 inch wheels?

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013 22:02 
Mivec Guru

Cameron wrote:
and rocker cover now has no baffles and dash fittings welded into it, so i have completely done away with the PCV setup, hopefully engine will be back in the mirage in a few weeks. :D

Like everything, the PCV system is there for a reason. I'd never do that to my own car.
I see you've driven it on the road. Have you checked the oil recently?
The problem with doing away with the PCV system is that the oil gets contaminated very quickly with water and fuel. Sure it's OK for a race car where the oil gets changed after every event, road cars with no proper crankcase ventilation can do a lot of internal damage quite quickly without very regular changes. Cold running makes it worse. Oil / water / fuel isn't good oil.
"Proper" racecars (V8s) use a venturi connected to the exhaust to provide a vacuum to suck the contaminants out of the sump. Fresh air in and fuel / water vapour out. Otherwise they use a dry sump which solves the problem in another way. Some racecars even use a mechanical vacuum pump connected to the sump, that does 2 things, the other being that you get more HP (free HP) by reducing the windage losses inside the sump because it's at lower pressure.
Most of the performance shops are pretty clueless when it comes to the finer points of "tuning". Ongoing work for them ?
Try giving your oil the "sniff test"
There's plenty on the interweb of course, you've just got to know what to google for.
Most of it is written by kids with a mental age of 5 but this is worthwhile reading.

http://www.shophemi.com/images/media/p- ... _bible.pdf

Steve

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next