Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 17 Oct 2018 13:58

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 93 CA4A RS - Yoshiken
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2010 08:58 

Well my build thread went down with the old server so here's another take at my car :wink:

Engine bay before

Post subject: Re: My Mivec RS (Gen 1)
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2010 09:17 

Wow I know that it is very hard buy RS version :shock:

how to exercise the CAI intake system?

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2010 09:22 

It looked like this when I got it.
So the whole stripping to bare chassis bit, and the happy aides
Dry ice to freeze the soundproofing off..
More chiseling
Getting there
Break
Less weight!
More or less all gone

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2010 09:33 

Now how much weight?

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2010 09:39 

Klej, Do you mean to ask how I installed the CAI?

I will post the details about the CAI later... I had a pretty detailed thread on how I did everything but it went down with the server crash so I'm just re-posting all the information.

Anyway so I cleaned everything... again i'm obsessed with cleaning..

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2010 10:06 

I'm not sure how much it weighs as I have not weighed it yet. I plan to install lots of chassis bracing and maybe a rollcage so in the end it might not be as light as it looks.

Washed ALL the vents and ducts (not yet washed in this pic here)
Washed the dash and all the interior plastic trim as well
My autobody friend hammered out some of the imperfections on the body
I brought the car outside, masked everything off
We painted the interior to seal the bare metal inside
Mikey had to bring us more paint since we didn't quite have enough at hand to cover the whole interior.
Mikey dancing from the sheer excitement of it all
Mikey intrigued by my bottle of "touch-up paint". Tried and tested, heavy-duty stationery-grade.
Almost done!

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2010 10:37 

Not a huge fan of rubber shifter bushings, so I took some action.

So I ordered a premium shifter base bushing kit from HDR (Home Depot Racing). The kit comes with 8 construction-grade steel washers, hand-selected and packaged in an authentic Home Depot bag.
The entire kit set me back $1.39... I had to cut back on getting a bag of potato chips that day. It's a tough life.

4 of the washers installed..
... and 4 more on top, bolted down.

I was also very fortunate to have this high-performance vehicle as a parts donor.
I started wrenching parts off it..
And salvaged this fully sealed ABEC-5 ball bearing..
...to replace my rubber shifter cable bushings with..
...as they are identical in size and fit perfectly.
Although I had to order another set of 8 washers from HDR to take up the slack on both sides, as pictured. Another $1.39, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2010 11:09 

Removed power steering, but retained the power rack by looping the lines and adding a small reservoir so I still have a quick ratio.
Now visible is the RS oil cooler
Removed all non-essential bolts and bracketry
Removed factory air box (now instaleld in my Asti) and rubber intake pipe.
Installed a dry cell race battery.
Cleaned up the wiring and increased the high tension cable diameter to 4AWG. Shortened grounding cable is 1AWG. The larger positive terminal cover is off an Accord.
Brand new bolts all round the engine bay, and all remaining bracketry cleaned and painted semigloss black.
Cleaned and painted cowl trim, as well as door frames!
Dash and interior partly installed, as well as power door locks (I get a lot of use out of having power door locks).
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii80 ... d78a66.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii80 ... e4a3f3.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii80 ... b00544.jpg
Got a 1" brake master cylinder
And relocated the brake fluid reservoir as it was interfering with my intake pipe.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2010 11:11 

Yoshiken wrote:
Klej, Do you mean to ask how I installed the CAI?...

No, whether any major changes with the transition from OEM to cai?

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2010 11:29 

It does feel a bit more responsive, but not significantly. The metal piping gets quite hot after sitting in traffic. Maybe the OEM rubber will remain cooler than metal.

Most people say the OEM air box is actually the best setup in terms or torque and performance, and I think the cup cars were running OEM too, with maybe just a different filter element. I could have kept it OEM, but the hard pipe setup is less cluttered and I enjoy hearing the Mivec sound. In fact not hearing the Mivec kick in would take a lot away from my driving experience.

That being said, I didn't want to compromise performance for aesthetic pleasure either. I thought about how to route the intake long and hard because I didn't want the intake sucking hot air from the engine bay, but I also wanted a clean-looking setup and a good, loud intake note. That's how I thought of this very particular intake setup, curving along the edges of the engine bay and collecting air from the wheel well. I'm personally very pleased with the result, as I'm not getting the heatsoak I'd get with an open filter inside the engine bay, while getting a very pronounced and aggressive intake note when i'm on the high cams.

Driving on the low cams my car sounds as quiet as any other stock car on the street.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2010 11:53 

Location: Making things Dirty =;-P (Auckland care of muddy gravel roads)
HPC Coat the intake...

I made it to trackday...

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2010 12:02 

HPC coat could be a good idea. But the heat isn't so much a problem for me than an observation.

Ok I don't know if you guys remember the fustercluck I had to deal with regarding my steering wheel. Here is a recap of what happened.

The steering was sitting one tooth crooked when I got the car, so I tried to take the momo hub off the steering wheel, but it was stuck. I used over 5 different pullers on it - to no avail, so in a fit of brute rage I pulled the hub out of shape (and still it was stuck on). Not only was my JDM column now useless, I could not recover the original JDM column switch.
So after weeks of trying to find an alternative I was able to get a steering column off my friend's C52A Mirage. From the same parts car I cut out a piece of its bumper to make my own tow hook cover. I also got a USDM column switch from the wreckers.
I used a Dremel tool to make grooves into the steering column bolts so that I can remove them with a flathead screwdriver.
The USDM column switch did not plug straight in to the harness, however. I spent days looking at the US diagram and JDM connectors, trying to figure out which wires go where. I blew about 20 fuses before I gave up.
What I did was I took apart the lighting switch from the JDM column switch and decided to install it on the dash. I used the original rear wiper switch location to install the switch.
Since the slider on the switch that selects between the headlight modes moved too freely, I heated up a nail and singed some notches onto the switch housing so that the slider will "click" into each position.
Here is the switch installed in the dash. Moving the black slider left and right controls the lights on/off. The white circle on the bottom controls the high beams - tap to flash, press to turn them on.

Also, my clutch master cylinder was leaking but I couldn't find the right JDM replacement since all the outlets faced the wrong direction, and the outlets interfered with my brake booster. So I had to take a brake line and extend a hardline out of the master cylinder, then connect it to a clutch hose that I got out of an RVR.

Long story short, I got a USDM clutch master cylinder to work on my car with a little ingenuity. Please ignore my use of teflon tape on the clutch lines.

PostPosted: 12 May 2011 09:19 

Update with a few more things I have done to the car over the winter:

First of all I wanted to get rid of the remaining lines from the earlier power steering delete for a cleaner engine bay, so I did a complete teardown and de-power of the rack. (Full details of the process here: http://www.mivec.co.nz/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7623&p=62512#p62512)

I've always wanted to run an all-aluminum half radiator, so when the radiator on my 1.5 Asti blew, I used my mivec one to replace it - giving me an excuse to buy a B-series half rad and a high CFM slim fan.

I wasn't happy with the old battery mounts and location, so I fabricated an aluminum battery box and relocated it to the front frame rail.

It rains a lot here so I got a new pair of wipers. I always get ones that are a bit longer than stock, to cover the entire windshield. Also visible to the left of this picture is yet another new brake master cylinder. I found the 1" one too stiff, so I went out and bought a 15/16" unit.

The car was sitting a bit too high (4 fingers) at the lowest setting of my adjustable perch shocks, so I sent them in to my machinist friend Lance to get a couple of new perch grooves put in. I'm very pleased with how they turned out.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011 21:42 

im interested in knowing how you made a new tow hook cover?

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011 23:54 

you still need one of those combo switches... ? willing to give mine out.. just pay for shippng. RHD right?