Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 18 Jul 2018 08:18

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2008 21:18 

I Need to sell my engine, I'm out of money.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 291936.htm

I may sell the gearbox and Flywheel with it also. Or Seperate.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009 16:26 

Well I managed to make it thru xmas without going bankrupt and I now have another job so the rallycar build is on again. However the motor and gearbox are still for sale as I've started building a stroker.

Also this xmas break I removed the fusebox from under the bonnet and started making a a cold air box, this was not really planned but the right front inner guard where the battery used to be started to tear a fracture, I think it's from the solid engine mounts?? Anyway I welded it up and it just torn a new crack beside it. So I'm welding in some 1.2mm Steal to replace the paper thin panel in there.

When I removed the fusebox I thought it would be a good idea to rewire the car, so that's all Tefzel wire and Raychem now, I repinned the factory plugs and it look like the flashest thing on the car now.

I also got a 4WD full tank to fit and modified the pump so it now has a Walbro pump, Malpassi regulator and I'll be running the fuel lines through the cabin so no stones get them.

Then just need, sump guard, some more chassis stiffening, Suspension, Under body, Low Volume Cert and a decent lotto ticket because the Targa entry fees are huge!

Happy New Years People.

Also, I brought a spare parts car, so if you need something for a 92-95 Mirage Hatch, let me know.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009 17:35 
Mivec Guru

Car looks awesome man! Just clicked that your the guy on trademe iv been messaging about the pedal box :)

Fortyone Automotive

Bride | HKS | Top Fuel | JUN | Sparco | Defi | Cusco

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010 17:46 

An update...

Not sure if this car still qualifies to be on this site Bart?

I sold the Mivec Motor and ECU and brought an EVO 3 RS motor which I rebuilt, put a front mount EVO 9 intercooler in behind the chassis rails with custom alloy pipework and Tail BOV. I am now running a Ralliart 4WD gearbox with plate front diff and I welded in a 4WD rear rear end and mounted a plate LSD out of an EVO 3.

Then I saved up and saved up and saved up all my weekends to buy a MoTeC M400.

I made a custom cold air box and then decided to balance it out, so I made another one for the other side and mounted the power steering cooler and oil cooler behind the left headlight, this required some air ducting so I put a carbon fiber lancer bonnet on it and glass head lights, the gaurds didn't fit so I had to buy some new ones but decided to go with EVO 6.5 flares.

I've put in a few more bars in the rollcage to stiffen it up for the 4WD also.

But, I'm still not sure when it will be going again as I have a 3 month old daughter now and one income means no rally car :(

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010 20:40 
Administrator

Yeah doesn't really qualify, but its interesting enough that we'll leave it here. Just post some pictures etc. I'm contemplating a 4WD conversion too.

Waikato@Heart - supporting heart kids through life
Bart Dinger Electronics

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2010 21:37 

Craig Garmonsway is building one as well, his is more finished than mine and he has his rally suspension in allready and AP's on the front. Mine's a bit more show finish thou, yet it's not done so I guess his is a better car. Greg Kirkam used to have one as well. I've seen a few boy racer versions on trademe that have gone for $7-$15K depending on quality.

My advise, if your thinking of going 4WD, buy Neil Marshalls old EVO 3, that's a bargin really.

Everything is interchangable, but you need to change everything!

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2010 17:39 
Mivec Guru

2 of my mates have caged 4wd mirages both making over 200wkw :twisted:
One of them just did a 1.17 around manfield over the weekend on low boost, 140wkw.
Its a bloody quick little car!

Fortyone Automotive

Bride | HKS | Top Fuel | JUN | Sparco | Defi | Cusco

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2010 18:25 
Administrator

I'm in your boat Destroy, wife + kids = no money for racecar. I'm glad I can scrape together entry fees :lol:

Waikato@Heart - supporting heart kids through life
Bart Dinger Electronics

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2010 21:29 

Some photos, the rust from the seam welding looks really bad in these pics, I'll have to get it sand blasted and painted soon. Off to the fiberglass shop first thou, to get an aftermarket EVO 6.5 front bumper fitted to match the front gaurds, the side skirts and rear flares will come later, after a wheel arch lift similar to the yellow V6 rallycar on this site.

Attachments:
File comment: Door Cards, will be making an alloy door pocket as the glovebox is cut out.
Door Cards.jpg
Door Cards.jpg [ 84.15 KiB | Viewed 6178 times ]
File comment: Drive shaft mounts for 4WD
DriveShaft Mounts.jpg
DriveShaft Mounts.jpg [ 81.15 KiB | Viewed 6178 times ]
File comment: Modified Mirage bonnet for sale on trademe, now. This shows the cut outs for the intercooler and the 4G63T in place
Old Bonnet Engine In.jpg
Old Bonnet Engine In.jpg [ 100.82 KiB | Viewed 6178 times ]
File comment: Power steering Cooler
Power Steering Cooler.jpg
Power Steering Cooler.jpg [ 85.23 KiB | Viewed 6178 times ]
File comment: And Oil Cooler on top of that, I thought I'd make it match the other side.
Oil Cooler.jpg
Oil Cooler.jpg [ 108.5 KiB | Viewed 6178 times ]
File comment: Cold Air box
Intake.jpg
Intake.jpg [ 100.37 KiB | Viewed 6178 times ]
File comment: New Bonnet and Gaurds
Front Per Bumper.jpg
Front Per Bumper.jpg [ 75.02 KiB | Viewed 6178 times ]
File comment: The EVO 6 Gaurds aren't the right shape and need some more cutting yet to get them fitting right.
Need to Trim Gaurds.jpg
Need to Trim Gaurds.jpg [ 56.46 KiB | Viewed 6178 times ]

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2010 20:52 

Didn't realise it had been so long since I posted on here. I guess the real baby IS putting the mechanical baby on the back burner afterall.

I have not achieved much in this time, mainly just fibreglass work for the rear guards, custom front bumper and side skirts. I have also modified the carbon bonnet so the cold air comes in and the hot air gets out.

Currently I'm modify the rear wheel arches, I have cut out the tub between the outer skin and the strut tower to fit a rolled guard that goes straight out to make the most of the flair and increase the wheel travel for the gravel wheels. I have also made some chrome molly bottom arms in the back with rose joints to take the 50mm Drummond suspension. I did a bump test on this and was not happy with the ride height so I am now fitting turrets to the rear strut towers. This involves cutting out the existing strut tower and machining up a sleeve then welding that in, kind of a tube for the strut to extend beyond the wheel arch. I should look okay as I'll be building a panel steal tub to join it just below the rear windows, which I have now removed to replace with Lexan.

While I'm talking about Lexan, I have put Lexan in the rear hatch and brought an ugly time attack style rear wing that I will cut up and make a custom one, I'm thinking Focus WRC style or at least Fiesta S2000.

I am also solid mounting the rear diff and hanging it off the roll cage similar to how the Group A Evo 3's where done, but the support tubes will be higher as they will be joining onto the turrets which will look more WRC but not as cool as I didn't approach it like that from the offset, so the guard lines and roll cage are not as pretty as they could be.

These are the only pics I have to update with at the moment but should have some more in a couple of weeks when the work in the back is complete.

Attachments:
ForMivecdotCodotNZ.JPG
ForMivecdotCodotNZ.JPG [ 162.13 KiB | Viewed 6145 times ]

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2010 21:28 

UPDATE:

Just brought an Ikeay sequential shifter, yeah! Currenlty working on the 7 Seg display for the gear indicator as we speak, you can buy them but I'll make one for under $10 and many hours of my time ;)

Also have completed the sump gaurd, front bumper bar/crash bar, fitted front suspension with upright adapters and solid uniball camber and castor adjusatable top mounts on the 50mm drummonds, fitted the rear suspension with custom rose jointed bottom control arms and fitted rear turrets to the rear gaurds to make use of the extra travell allowed by the flares and raised wheel arches, now has 220mm of travel in the back. Also currently solid mounting the diff, the rear hanger come off the turrets and looks the bollocks and I'm currently thinking about how to do the front diff hange off the turrets without modifying the roll cage, I've really done this out of order and should have planned more at the start, this is now costing me lots more as I move th goal posts!

The rear end should look the business thou and I'll probaly end up cutting the cage and getting it rehomologated, however I'm undecided at this point.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010 17:09 

I have decided that I'll make some trailing arm uniballs like these, the ones in the picture are for an EVO 10.

Anyone else want some for their Gen1 Mivec?

Attachments:
Trailing Arm uniball.jpg
Trailing Arm uniball.jpg [ 54.94 KiB | Viewed 6103 times ]

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010 18:16 

Yeah those are the ones i was talking about... Really simple idea but too until the evo X for someone to come up with it.
Just drill and cut the rubber out and bolt those in which clamps a sperical bearing in between.

Should fit all mirages and lancers 91-01 as they share the same design even the 4wd gsr. Only the evo 4+ are different.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010 06:56 

A similar system was used on the factory Evo 3s. I have made a similar system. What kind of money are we talking about for a pair including bearings?

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2010 11:36 

These trailing arm sphericals are currenlty being drawn up and the supllies being sorced, we should have a price for thos interested in a week or two.