Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 14 Nov 2018 06:47

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2006 14:56 

Location: Making things Dirty =;-P (Auckland care of muddy gravel roads)
http://www.mivec.co.nz/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3853 have a look r1 boddies...

you really want the seat cut...

i'll ask the guy at work, what things to ask for and i'll post them back up. he'll be able to tell me the things you really want done to get the most from it..

ya when you have the head off it's best to get the cams installed at the same time as you have the head apart anyways. stronger valve springs could also be good.

personally if you can afford it i'd look at gettting a aftermarket ecu setup... it's much more tweekable and you will end up getting the best from the car... the factory setup can only be tweeked so much before you have maxed it out. Bigger injectors would be something to look at after you have done all that other work, as you might be needing more fuel to get the best from it... injectors can be gotten rather cheapy from nz as you can use the ones from the gsr (which are common as crap here - and crashed often also)

I made it to trackday...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2006 22:16 
mitserwilko wrote:
i wish i knew someone with fabrication skills and that but unluckily i dont i would love a quad throttle body but not yet i think and i just said i was looking to get the head ported and polished and he said polishing and so on will be about 900 i never asked about the the seat cut or anything should i ?? and what is the most important thing i need to tell him to do?? and i said i was planning on putting new cams in and he said i should do the whole lot in one go it will save on labour costs and he said i will need a remap of the ecu to handle the changes and so on and no way people are using yamaha quad throttle bodies thats mad wish i had the skills to do that 8)

Who were you talking to about doing the work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2006 05:45 
i was talking to my mate who said the lad at westward engineering is very good but expensive and drtdvl that would be great if you could find out all that stuff and ill be getting back onto him to find out exactly what i want once you have posted up all that stuff then ill get a proper qoute as the last one was an estimate and would a vented bonnet suit quad throttle bodies as how do they get cold air other wise??

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2006 05:51 
Nah westwards prices don’t seem to be much more than other crowds, but look at the other options – tdp, extreme, ttm – I’ve yet to hear good reports about these places.

Have you got msn man?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2006 13:01 
i dont but i will set it up and have you heard good things about westward engineering ?? and what are ecu's like to buy as im trying to price everything up at the min thanks :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2006 14:14 

Right things you need to comment on:

3 angle seat cut.

blending of the seat into the port wall (tell them there might be upto a 1.5mm overhang)

those are the big things really....

it's the seat to port wall alignment that really is frankly shit in the mivec heads i've seen.

but ya... those are the biggies.

he should be able to tell from the gasket marks where the manifold aligns up with the port to blend to...

I made it to trackday...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2006 14:51 
thanks mate you da man :D any idea's on a new/piggyback ecu price?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2006 15:00 

talk to bart... also talk to tuning shops in irland

I made it to trackday...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2006 02:20 
will do mate thanks and there is a long list once you get the head ported aint there to make everything work right :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2006 07:29 

which is what turns most people off cracking the head open. :D

you can do stuff piece meal its just no where near as efficient. It also helps if you can do as much of the work your self as possible. I.e. assembly/disassembly as that turns out to be a large component of the cost. Bearing in mind that you dont want to screw head assembly up, people have got their timing belts off by a tooth or a cam 180 degrees out and it makes a mess.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2006 08:04 
mitserwilko wrote:
thanks mate you da man :D any idea's on a new/piggyback ecu price?

All depends on what you go for. An apexi power fc costs about 1200 incl mapping, a motec can cost up to 1800 incl mapping.

I worked it out, to get the engine done in Ireland properly (bear in mind theres only really one or two places that are actually able to map properly, and only one place I’d trust to do machining) would cost upwards on 5 grand, probably more in the end:

Head work – between 700 and a grand
Cams – bout 1400
Cold air induction system – about 400
Manifold and exhaust system – about a grand
Ecu and mapping – about 1300
Throttlebody and machining of intake to suit – about 400
Lightened flywheel – bout 500
(all prices are give or take a few quid)

Do all that and you should see a 30 to 35bhp increase, when you take it that a mivec makes about 155bhp on shite irish petrol (only bout 94ron remember) means you might, if its all done right and the tuner puts in effort, get bout 190bhp (not sure what torque you’d see), maybe more.
And that’s before you go at the suspension and brakes (probably more important than the power side), which is about another grand or two to really set up right.
And that’s even before you get dreams of putting in a turbo (about 4grand to do right)
Or doing what I did and put in an evo interior to hold you in place while you enjoy the power (another 800)
Now that’s fine, yea you’l have one hell of a motor and a ridiculous smile on yer mug, but include the price of the car and you’ve spent the price of a spotless evo v..
See where your smile will disappear?
(Few lads on here might think that’s expensive but in Ireland theres very few tuners that can be trusted to do the job right (don’t go near extreme or ttm) and they know it, even the ones that aren’t worth a bollox still charge stupid prices)

I’ve had dreams of doing all the above to the car since I got her, and now 4 grand later I’m only turning to the engine bay, and potentially another 5 grand. I could nearly have got a tommi mak for the money I’ve spent + what I’d like to spend.

Now don’t get me wrong, you might see me on here in 6mths with the above list ticked, and I’m open to correction on the power gains from fellas on here that have done the above work, but from talking to various tuners around the country I’m starting to think its not worth it, look at it this way, all grand spending all that cash to have probably the nicest fastest mivec on the island, but your smile will drop when some sham in his SIR with an ecu and exhaust blows you off the road… And when you go to sell it in a year or two and find its still only worth maybe 14grand with the work done.

All the same dude if you read all that and think F**K it I'll do it anyways then power to ya, talk to me on msn I'll give you all the info I've rounded up over the last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2006 09:02 

You are entirely correct. The age old issue of "do I modify the car I've got now, or put that money towards something flasher?"
You are also correct in the fact you won't see a cent back on the mods you do make.
That's why I rally, so I can spend even more money and never get a fraction of the money back whilst wrecking what I've already got. It's great :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2006 03:27 
:lol: @ atomrally like your style!!! and socky i went through all those issues you just said above and i agree with you every bit of the way but first im 21 and wont get insured on a nice evo till im 25 at a reasonable rate anyway, second i dont like honda's enough to buy one and do it up as there common as muck and i dont pay that much on the mivec for insurance so i just thought instead of saving for for an evo that i wont buy for another 4 years ill spend it all on my car and im still thinking this all through its good that you have all the prices ill speak to you on msn more about it but the main reason i want to do it up is for it to be faster than most vtec civic and scare some type-r's hopefully or maybe more if i ever win the lotto :lol:

Post subject: UPDATE!!!
PostPosted: 18 May 2007 07:37 
well i got a full cat back exhaust system done as mine was blowing and got myself a set of wheels (rota Grids)also put on my evo 3 front brakes also sorted out two gauges an oil pressure and oil temp but they are yet too be hooked up also have a helical lsd and rear lower strut brace waiting to be fitted just saving some money to get them all sorted.

here are some pics anyway

i need to sort out my front right coilover as its knocking when going over bumps and turning then ill be looking at getting the t.b from bart and fuel pressure regulator a 4-1 rpw manifold then ill be looking at getting the head work done and prob a new ecu and im looking at getting dampner adjuster like the ones for the tein coilovers are they worthwhile or should i not bother??

any positive critism welcome :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 May 2007 12:07 
nice motor, did ya buy dat rear strut off dat chap on irishmoc?, i cud get them dials off a mate sit in nicely but do they block the petrol gauge??

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next