Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 19 Dec 2018 13:15

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2006 13:29 

Location: Making things Dirty =;-P (Auckland care of muddy gravel roads)
the cams with more aggressive profile, make anything undersay 3000 rpm unsmooth to drive, as the cams are designed to be constannt running above a certain point.

look up cam profiles in google

I made it to trackday...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2006 14:08 
ill do that now so i dont want to aggressive profiled cams as i would still like it to e driveable you know

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2006 14:10 

i've driven a few group n rally cars around town and their rally cams arn't that bad... you could live with it...

I made it to trackday...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2006 20:03 
Hey man only spotted this thread now..

I was at westward in enfield at the weekend (irishmoc.org rr day) yer man there (martin tracy i think) told me i'd be wasting my money going at cams or ecu for the gains I'd get, he makes out get the head gas flowed, put on my extractors (I have an rpw 4-1 race ext waiting to go on), do up the heat shielded intake and that should be enough.. (well he actually told me to sell the car and get something that good gains can be got from, but balls to him I love my mivec)
He seemed to know his stuff, was telling me about mivecs he's had in before for cam and ecu work and saw small gains (bout 14 - 20bhp extra for 2-3grand)..
The 3 mivecs up on the rollers made 153-155bhp btw, all stock engines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2006 22:33 

socky wrote:
He seemed to know his stuff, was telling me about mivecs he's had in before for cam and ecu work and saw small gains (bout 14 - 20bhp extra for 2-3grand)..
The 3 mivecs up on the rollers made 153-155bhp btw, all stock engines.

The biggest problem with just getting cams and a ecu is that the head can't flow enough for the new cams. Everything needs to be done to get the real benifits from each item. If your sayin you only got 20hp more from just the cams, i'd suspect that when you get a really good head job done that figure would increase a reasonable amount more. The ports on the mivecs are ok, and the seat to port wall alignment is absolute crap there is a lot to be gained from just improving that one thing...

Rabbit can verify to how crap the alignment was.

Alot of people here are just like that... why bother working on a n/a car when you can get turbo car for next to nothing if you want lots of performance. Although the parts for the mivec's are hard to find, it doesn't mean that you should just give up on improving them.

you could away turbo charge the mivec or i'd say supercharge it and turbo charge it... its been done with sucess...

just remember we have ported a 1.6 mivec head to flow more than a stage 1.5 b18c type r head.

I made it to trackday...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2006 13:42 
well the reason i bought my mivec was to be different to every other type-r, glanza turbo owner and so on i want my mivec to to be original thats why im going to put in the work and get extractors and a larger throttle body and then ill find someone to do a really good job on the head then ill arrange new cams and if i aint happy by then ill turbo it if i can afford it ha ha :) and alrite socky never mind what that lad said mivec's are the dogs b*llocks and i am dying to get my car dyno'd just to give me an idea of where i stand and i seen alot of the mivec's had very similiar bhp's and did your man at westward give you any idea what sort of money he would be looking at to do work on the head??? and has the mivec be turbo and supercharged wouldnt mind see some of them go 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2006 14:09 

ya baby now your talking...

1.8 block

then super and turbo charged!

then add a fogger nos injection system...

i think you then might have traction issuies...

I made it to trackday...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2006 02:08 
ha ha then maybe ill go 4wd 8) and i wont be gettting a 1.8 block till im 25 because they wont insure me on it what about turbocharging the 1.6 ?? can the internal handle it or is there alot of work to doing this??

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2006 03:08 
What throttle bodies should i be looking at aswell?? i was told that i will need to get the ecu remapped if i add new cams and get the head ported and polished is this true and is remapping and ecu expensive??

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2006 08:36 

Bart does a nice throttle body, otherwise you could look at going for quad throttle bodies... it will improve the top end a fair bit and inmprove throttle responce as it allows equal pressure into each of the intake runners.... and they sound kool.

You would definantly want to look at re-mapping the ecu or replacing the whole ecu with a aftermarket setup like a haltec or something along those lines. as the factory ecu can only vary things a certain amount.

I made it to trackday...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2006 09:40 

Stock mivec 1.6 internal will handle 10 PSI MAX.

A gsr manifold etc will bolt directly to the 1.6 or a super charger maybe another option. either way go for 6 psi and you should be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2006 12:42 

as far as throttle bodies go you can bore to 63-64 mm on stock ecu no problems. I have 64 on my car, gives you approx 10% more cross sectional area. I use a fuel pressure regulator to bump th efuel pressure up a little to be on the safe side ( i just in case its leaned out to much) But thats a crude way to do it I should really get a piggy back to adjust the fueliing if I want to maximise the gains that can be made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2006 13:11 
the quad throttle bodies are very expensive arent they?? and what mm is the throttle body bart does?? what will i be looking at paying for a new ecu?? i was given a price of €900 for a port and polish which is about 1800 nz dollars is that alot or what?? i would love to supercharge a mivec but not at the min as my insurance was hard enough to get as it is ha ha :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2006 13:57 

that 900 does that include a 3 angle seat cut? if it does thats a good price.

hmmm have you told them that your looking at playing with teh engine?

i guess you could always say i didn't know as the majority of the work your looking at is internal and isn't easy to see...

Alot of guys in nz get the quad throttles of anouther car the 20v 4agez (i think) it's the supercharged liven anyways (i think). Or they use motorcycle throttle bodies the yamaha r1 throttle bodies seam popular at the momment... it might cost a bit if you can't do any of the fabrication of the plates and stuff yourself or if you don't know anyone with the skills to do it.

I made it to trackday...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2006 14:32 
i wish i knew someone with fabrication skills and that but unluckily i dont i would love a quad throttle body but not yet i think and i just said i was looking to get the head ported and polished and he said polishing and so on will be about 900 i never asked about the the seat cut or anything should i ?? and what is the most important thing i need to tell him to do?? and i said i was planning on putting new cams in and he said i should do the whole lot in one go it will save on labour costs and he said i will need a remap of the ecu to handle the changes and so on and no way people are using yamaha quad throttle bodies thats mad wish i had the skills to do that 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next