Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 23 Jul 2018 10:50

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013 22:31 
Mivec Guru

All I've done is a test fit for now.

Steve

It's easier to fool someone than it is to convince someone that they've been fooled.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2013 22:52 
Mivec Guru

Making more progress. But right out of welding gas now.

Steve

It's easier to fool someone than it is to convince someone that they've been fooled.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2013 21:26 

Bonnets coming along nicely Steve

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013 21:53 
Mivec Guru

Thanks for the comments.

I haven't done much recently, been lazy.

The edges curled up when the plate shrank so I've re sliced to to fix it, haven't finished yet.

The WOF man drove it down the road, for the first time I saw how much smoke was coming out of the exhaust. So that needs fixing.
Prior to that the innovative WB died on me , I'll blame it on the car battery going flat. I haven't looked at that yet.
So with no WB and too much smoke I didn't bother with the Masterton drags. Maybe next month?

On the plus side my fancy ignition system has cleared all the previous misfires (still got new plugs waiting to fit), undoubtably caused by broken ringlands on at least 1 piston. No 6(or was that no 5?) .I could fix it in place but If I pull the engine I could dial in the cams yet again, they won't be spot on after me messing with the timing belt mods when I had the heads off last time.

I think a year or so back I found a problem with the drivers side water injection, as in it wasn't working? So the massive knock counts I got would have been from cylinders 4, 5 and 6.
So hopefully nos 1,2,3 should be OK?
But then again, I used second hand rings and didn't hone it. But it HAS got worse.

Steve

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013 20:19 

ok now iv read thru it lol..
good job..
BTW if your interested I manufacture Bodykits,Bonnets,etc so if you wanna help me achieve my miveccer then im keen to help you with the body styling lol??

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013 20:22 
Mivec Guru

Oooooh, I like that idea.

Steve

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013 20:33 

my abilities in Customizing are pretty endless...
iv made a custom bonnet for an FTO in Aussie this week using the DTM style ,and iv finished a Custom fronted AE111 Levin aswell
browse trough my http://s1178.beta.photobucket.com/user/vr4wgn/library/ and youll see what iv done and what im about as my website is stll under construction

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2013 11:46 
Mivec Guru

I have't updated this for a while.
Haven't done anything else to the bonnet, been busy with other things and other interests, need a temporary break from cars.
I've fitted the new sparkplugs though, the factory PFR6J11s at the factory gaps of 1.1mm. just got a few more bits to fit before I fire it up again. Then I can give the ignition upgrades a thorough workout.
The innovative WB crapped out (the electronics in the top part of it, not the sensor), that's part of the reason. It got sent back under warranty and it's been exchanged. Will refit that before I take it back out on the road. My NB sensor also crapped out, it just reads lean.

Steve

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2013 19:04 

any reasons for going megasquirt over a link g4 ?

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2013 00:31 
Mivec Guru

I never went megasquirt. I've still got it sitting in a box, eventually I'll use it for the WI,

I'm just a bit scottish and don't like spending money when you don't need to. To me a link G4 is like money down the toilet.

There's nothing that can't be done with a factory computer, in lots of respects it's far better than anything aftermarket, Failsafes. Built in.
Knock detection, timing retard, increased AFR and lower boost.

Steve

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2013 09:42 

yeah from what ive been told from my tuner is that megasquirt is alot slower and laggy compared to the link g4 when it comes to making adjustments , links much easyer to tune as well

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2013 11:57 
Mivec Guru

To me a computer is a computer.
A link dealer will promote a link.
A motec dealer will promote a motec
An AEM dealer will promote an AEM.
There's no money to be made from a megasquirt so it doesn't get promoted by anyone except the end user.
The same goes with the telecomms industry supplying customer equipment. Most dealers are only trained on the product they supply and don't have the ability to work on other products due to lack of knowledge/experience/training.

It's only software and software won't work without hardware. Car mechanics pretty much all fail at electronics. Just take ignition systems as an example.
Me, I'm a telecomms/electronics tech, I make the hardware work. Hardware can be manipulated without changing the software to get the same, or at least a satisfactory end result.
The best hardware comes from the factory.
As far as all these tuners go, I'd like to see their qualifications nailed up on the wall.
It's a bit like alarm installers, you can do a half day course and get a certificate at the end of it.
At the end of the day , it's a balance between how much money you want to spend, that's offset against how much of your own time you want to put into it.
You're either going to end up broke or very experienced.Or both.

Steve

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2013 12:53 

well my tuner has a good record, and wont touch megajizz with a 10ft poll,

PostPosted: 16 May 2013 08:16 

Two questions:
1. Is the Mivec combustion chamber 56cc or 48cc?
2. When will that 6G75 going in?

PostPosted: 16 May 2013 15:24 
Mivec Guru

Combustion chamber is about the same size as that of the 6G72 N/A and TT ones, not sure the exact CC yet as I still haven't measured it.
The 6G75? still lots of work to do on that,Got to cut and reweld the sump for clearance with the transfer case, will be building a 6G74 mivec first with still undecided bore and stroke. I've already modified the sump on this one.
I haven't done any more on the car yet, just been driving it. It's still running well though and hasn't blown up.

So far I've done this to the 6G74.

That's just a dummy asssembly for now to see what fits and what still doesn't fit.
It's a 6G74 block from a SOHC 24v Diamante wagon with the Diamante 30m mivec heads and factory 6G74 265T cambelt fitted (same ish spec as the factory Evo Pajero).
The only new part here is the belt, everything else has been modified to fit. There's about $800 invested in it all up, not counting time and welding gas.
The cambelt end engine mount needs trimming a bit as it's too close to the belt.

Ignore the lower plenum, the SOHC one fits with a couple of mounting holes re drilled.
The oil filter part, I've got a modded one, not in the photo, that clears the front driveshaft.

Any earlier photos I posted of the 6G74 were with the DOHC Pajero block, to use that block with 30M heads requires a custom cambelt which isn't happening.

I might end up putting the 6G75 crank into this block and also bore it out to 95mm to use the 75 pistons too.
I might even build it up as an N/A and put it into something else?

Steve

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next