Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 17 Nov 2018 19:22

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: 20 May 2012 23:16 
Mivec Guru

Time for another update.
The traction control throttles aren't happening, no room without redesigning the plenum, so that might go onto the 3.5 if and when I get around to putting it together.
Will have electronically controlled blow off valves (factory ones of course) when it's back together, it's partly wired up.
Also done flow testing on the 6 port second stage water injection.
Already got the first stage working off the second TPS, transistor and relay, it comes on at 84% TPS according to the datalogger.The first stage is good for just over 1 litre per min. It's on or off and injected before the throttles.
Here's my second stage (progressive, controlled by the IDC) once it's back in the car.
The second stage is good for over 4 litres/min when flat out when the IDC is a true 100%.
Being in the lower manifold, has a cut off solenoid for disabling when off boost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZhxr7ju ... e=youtu.be

In the video I'm just running the pump off a variable power supply making sure they all flow the same, which they do, near enough.
It's just a standard Mitsubishi windscreen washer pump. plenty of them at pick a part, as is everything else in the car.
No ricer parts required.
I might even be able to get a safe high HP tune out of 91RON at this rate.Who needs E85?
I might need a 3rd stage though, progressive and driven by IDC,but injected before the throttles, can probably do that with just 1 extra solenoid valve as everything else is already there.

Steve

6G75 under construction....4.2 litres bored and stroked.Another Frankenmitsi.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2012 16:43 
Mivec Guru

I've added a few extra parts.
Need to run about 10 wires to get finished with that part.

I've got the 2 pumps fitted , wiring still to do.

The fuel filter, that's my catch can. So I know there's no blowby....yet.
Fitted a new vac fitting in the manifold to go via the catch can to the PCV valve in the rear cam cover.
The jets in the lower plenum now go to the pump via a solenoid to shut it off.

2 hobbs switches to wire up and 2 more solenoids, also wires to passenger side TPS.
I've still got 2 WI jets to fit somewhere.

Steve

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2012 22:40 
Mivec Guru

Just one lone wire to connect, which I'll leave for now.
Just got to refit the water tank, battery and air filter.

Steve

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012 15:58 
Mivec Guru

I got it back together and out for a road test on the weekend.
I've still got some homebrew race fuel in the tank from when I was at the drags, so shouldn't get knock.
I'm running straight water in the WI tank. It takes about 11 litres to fill. Going from memory I've got a max of about 4.5 litres/min at the pumps, 1100cc coming on at full throttle controlled by the pass side TPS, the rest ramping up with IDC. The 1100CC is injected pre throttle body, the rest of it initially goes in pre turbo, that switches once on boost (2PSI) to the 6 jets in the lower plenum.

The twin blow off valves get the vacuum from the vac reservoir (it's useless, throw it out?) switched by 2 solenoids from Toyotas, 2 pressure switches, before and after the throttle, if there's less than 2 psi in the manifold AND more than 4 ish PSI before the throttle, the solenoids energise and open the BOVs. Otherwise the solenoids are off and the BOVs closed (the vac lines are vented to atmosphere). All it takes is one relay with a break contact.....far too easy, no money in that one?
Although, now I can make them open when ever I want to?, like make it fall on it's face when my WI craps out and there's too much knock?
I gave it a bit of a boost, on & off & on & off. Blew a hose off, the loose one.The BOVs seem to make all the right noises.
It's still going, not blown up yet. Nor did it cough & splutter.Datalogger's died though.

If I only get out to 57% IDC, or more like 50% then the pump should be getting an average of maybe 7 volts so it should be pumping maybe 2 litres/min into the lower plenum. That's on top of the 1100 cc. So about 3 litres per min of water at 50% IDC on the fuel injectors.
At the same 50% IDC and 6 x 880 injectors I'll have just over 2.5 litres per min of fuel.
So, more water than fuel injected, that's if I got it right.
At 50% IDC and 12.5 to 1 AFR it should make in the ballpark of 500HP.That'll be at roughly 1 and a bit bar of boost.It's running a lot richer than that at the moment.

Too much water you think?
The commercially available WI kits are just overly expensive toys and sales blurb with no true facts.

Here's a good read.

http://www.riceracing.com.au/resources/ ... ection.pdf
That's from 1942, a whole 70 years ago.

More vids to come before it blows up.
Got to fix the laptop....so I can reload the MMCD once I put new batteries in again.

Then what?
A bit more custom electronics so I can monitor the pumps.
Modifications to the knock link to make it how it should have been made in the first place, with a switched output or 2 or 3.
I still haven't bolted in that blue bottle.

I'll have to fit an EBOV and WI to my hilux 2L Diesel turbo then crank up the boost.....one day.That's the tow wagon.
Maybe Playday at Manfield in September for a bit of tuning . Need a Go Pro.That's if it's still going.

Steve

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2012 22:24 

Who can help?

I have a 96 6g72 30m (spear rebuilt engine. A runner) and I also have two heads, manifolds and turbos for a 91 6g72TT. How easy is it to combine those products and what do I need to change?

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2012 21:21 
Mivec Guru

I've done a whole heap more since last update, I've rearranged the piping to the BOVs and rearranged the piping to the WI, just to overcome a few minor issues.
The BOVs need to be open at idle, just like the factory setup, otherwise you get stalling after holding the revs at 2500 and letting off.I also had issues with cornering. The water in the tank was slopping around and finding its way up the vent straight into the engine....fixed by rearranging the hoses.

Done some more unusual upgrades, this time to the turbo intake pipes.

1st photo didn't come out too well.

Rear intake pipe.

Front intake pipe again.

The most time consuming part of it was waiting for the ricer special chrome paint to dry.
Yes , it looks a bit rough but it's just an optical illusion.

So what's that going to do?
Pass.
Think of what happens when you pull the plug out of the bath?
The air in the intake pipe spins in the same direction as the compressor. Ideally you want it to spin in the opposite direction.
Likewise the exhaust coming out of the turbine spins in the same direction as the turbine.
You've heard of a turbulator and a tornado......this is a turbosooner. Total cost....nothing. Made out of scrap metal.

All I can say is that the last time it was driven up the Wainui hill, it made it all the way in 4th (under 2000 rpm , no boost) which it's never done before. That was with only the rear intake modded.I've only just finished the front one.

I've also done away with the pre turbo water injectors, moved them to the pipes before the throttle, was getting too much water when the boost came up , then when closing the throttle it kept coming out.Looking in the mirror, there were clouds of steam behind the car.
I've also swapped out the faulty NB sensor (that's been playing up for ages), that made a huge difference and on top of that I've fitted an innovative WB, thanks to the boys at "customworks", that's just to monitor what's going on via the video camera for logging.
A WB on it's own is pretty useless, a factory ECU is best tuned (the closed loop tune) by monitoring fuel trims at part throttle/ cruise. The fuel trims are dependent on having a fully working NB sensor.
With the dodgy NB sensor and 100% fuel trims it was running at close to 12.5 AFR in closed loop (low speed/cruise) and chewing through the fuel. It's back to 14.7 now.

Steve

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2012 18:11 
Mivec Guru

It's back together again, for now.

Everything fits.

Followed by a bit of testing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EUowgyD ... ature=plcp

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDFm4SG8 ... e=youtu.be

Mivec seems to trigger at 3500.

So then I swapped over to my 25 or so % overclocked ECU, that lifts the rev limiter to 9200 and the mivec activation point to 4500.
Then the camera batteries went flat.
So it's time for a drive to the supermarket.

Steve

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2012 17:31 
Mivec Guru

There seems to be a lot of people reading this but not commenting......must be the numbskulls from the "oldschool ....failed fabrication" thread.

Here's the latest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNFx1fQ ... ature=plcp

Another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcocwfcc ... e=youtu.be

8500 on a completely stock motor?

Steve

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2012 23:05 
Mivec Guru

I've been driving it pretty much every day for the last couple of weeks. The "boys" been hasling me again to dyno it.
My reply is that I'm doing reliability testing.
After 2 weeks a few problems started showing up, as they do.

You've got to be realistic about this. It's pretty easy to slap something together and make it work. Junkyard parts or brand new parts, you've got to test for reliability.With a car that's spent more time sitting in parts than it has driving it's even worse.
To summarise, one of the WI pumps seized.
So did the ISC
The ECU started bringing up fault codes.
It's started sounding like a sooby but it's been doing it for a while but clearing up on it's own.

To cut a long story short, I've fixed the ECU, cleaned and lubed the ISC they always fail with water injection.Ordered a better WI pump.
As for sounding like a sooby, cylinders 2 and 5 have died,I've got pretty much zero blowby. (they share the same coil but there's more to it than that, there's oil on no 5 plug threads) I'm going to pull the engine , give it a post mortem, I've broken the ringlands on at least one piston, maybe burnt valves (if you read back a few pages I had cambelt problems and re engineered the tensioner setup.) A good excuse to hone it, check the bearings and crank, fit new rings (I've got 12 spare mivec pistons lol) fit my tricked up mivec heads that aren't finished yet.
I'd rather keep it stock still... I might be able to knock out a stock block stock ECU record of some sort lols. All it's really going to cost me is new rings and lots of time.
Maybe fix the synchros on 1st and 2nd at the same time, fix oil leaks, mod the rear turbo so I can get the bolt out of the rear cam cover so I can remove the rear cam cover without removing the turbo first?
Then when I reassemble the motor I can degree the cams properly all over again. Doesn't matter, it's going to blow up on the dyno anyway lol.
Look at it this way, 2x TDO5 20Gs, 500 horses each maybe, 2 walbro pumps, 6 880 injectors and 4 L'min of 50/50 ethanol water. A stock block can't handle it? or can it?

Hopefully I'll be able to do it in the "customworks workshop" they've just moved to no 1 Eastern Hutt rd, right opposite pick a part....couldn't possibly be in a better location lol.
Room for lots of cars now.
Pick a part, that's my favourite shopping place

Steve

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2012 09:59 
Mivec Guru

I haven't updated this for a while.

I've just about finished an ignition upgrade. Check out my latest U tube.
Got several new vids up.

http://www.youtube.com/user/1magnit?feature=mhee

Steve

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012 22:21 
Mivec Guru

I've started on building a modded bonnet. It's the original one from the car so I originally didn't want to slice into it.
Just a few careful slices and bends in the right places. Temporarily held in shape with pop rivets and Ally sheet, then I've got to fill in the gaps.
It's now off the car for finishing, whenever I get the motivation?
I'm still working on the shape for the intake. Maybe a bit like kitt? With LED thingys to rice it up?

I've just looked through pictures of scoops, maybe a double one might be easier and give more support? As in a double air intake at the front?

Woops, I didn't mention the ignition upgrade. It's on U tube. on the above link.
Or just google 90Kv wasted spark .
I've added 3 pajero coilpacks to the front bank. They're mounted on the plugs like the 30M colpacks but they don't have built in PTUs.
The primaries are wired in parallel whilst the secondaries are wired in series to give double the voltage and double the joules per spark. It's one of the easiest mods I've done, probably another first. Most would rather spend the $$$$$ and get AEM ricer coils or a 40Kv short duration spark CDI.
I haven't changed out my fouled no 6 plug or fitted the new set because it's running smoothly on all 6 now.
I'm still having problems with a bit of overfuelling (sooty/ fouled plugs) with cold starts and need to remember to manually lean it out before starting. Once it gets a bit of heat in it , everything comes right and I can revert to normal tuning settings. It's just one of the downsides, at least for now of running piggyback computers with injectors increased from 360 or so to 880 or so and at the same time metering only 50% of the air intake.
I'm up to version 3 ECU hardware mod for the cold start.
I didn't need to pull the engine either, most of the problems were the plugs, loose injector plugs and mods needed to the mods to make them work right.

Steve

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2012 08:02 

Definitely no KITT LED theme in my opinion

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2012 21:55 
Mivec Guru

So far so good.

About half way there, at least with the welding/grinding/hammer/dolly.
No bog yet.

Steve

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2013 02:06 

thats a mean looking bonnet Steve! :twisted:

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2013 23:12 
Mivec Guru

I'm nearly out of gas again.
A daytime shot with one plate to weld in after the other side is done.
I'll probably put the bonnet on the car to see how it looks. Might go for bigger plates / smaller opening over the intakes.

Steve

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next