Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 25 Feb 2018 12:19

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2017 22:18 

This is largely why no progress on the L200.
Bought *another* 30M, this time with only 109xxx km. And it has a sunroof.
Had the cambelt done a week after i bought it, didn't have time to do it myself. Mechanic had to combine 3 different cambelt kits hahaha. I did warn him.
It also outlived my last one by 4 days, so it went 35 days before i broke it.
Diff pin sheared and ripped open the casing:
Not really going to dive into why this happened but i now know that a largely stock 30M can do a 7 sec 0-100.
(https://youtu.be/ervLzzjfPkg)

100 odd emails to Aus businesses, freight companies, customs, and $$$$ later its now manual.
Used a 5spd from an Aus Ralliart Magna, main reason being they came with a factory lsd which solves the issue of weak diff centres.
Anyone who knows about the Ralliart Magna will know that they aren't common to start with, only 500 being produced, and then the factory manual model is even rarer again.

Imported the gearbox with all the stuff needed to convert a magna of the same shape to manual, along with a Exeedy HD VR4 Clutch kit.

Things that needed to change:
Park brake (Original is that annoying foot operated one where a clutch pedal should go)
Mount Clutch master cylinder
CV shaft needed some creative thinking. (I'll explain further down)
Motion sensor bracket that is part of auto trans gear selector bracketry
Make starter motor fit into manual gearbox
get rid of lights on dash that would make me fail a WOF (TCL lights, check trans light)
Few other small things but if you have done a manual conversion before then you'd figure the rest out. (Inhibitor, reverse light etc..)

My mechanic did 97.1% of the actual work, highly recommend his shop if you're in the area. (A&H Motors 2015 Ltd)
Following are photos along the way, no captions but i figure most of you can work it out.
ImageImage
Notice how the front is raised due to the weight decrease of the manual box:

Hand brake cable fix:
(magna one was just too short)

Dash lights:
(pulled bulbs from tcl and trans lights, glued bit of plastic icecream container over center PNDR54321 lights)

Motion sensor bracket:
(made it out of old bracketry from the auto gear selector)

Also replaced the TCL switch with a blank to avoid suspicion:

Stock Muffler:
(Note the cool bypass on the side)
Replaced it with this obnoxious thing for now:
Just welded it onto the back of another 30M muffler i had, so that i could swap it out easily for he factory one when it came to WOF time:

Reverse sensor:

Lots of room down there now:
(Cold air intake maybe?)

Can't really tell at a glance:

I had to use the center console from a magna of the same shape to accommodate for the relocated handbrake, MitsiSpares is quickly becoming one of my favourite places.

Back in my possession:

Thought this was cheesy but fitting seeing as the box is Ralliart:

So a note on the passenger side drive shaft, as the kit came with the correct intermediate shaft to go across the side of the engine to the drivers side which the 30M axle matched, you will need a KH Daimante/Magna or equivalent axle/CV assembly. Fortunately the (KH) end fits the (30M) hubs, but you will need the end machined down slightly to fit the ABS ring from the 30M CV as the KH ABS ring is to big and will squash your ABS sensor.
The 30M axles are too big to fit the gearbox, interesting that Mitsi had the common sense to make these bigger but still used the same POS auto trans the breaks if you look at it funny.

This was all done almost 6 months ago, have just been waiting to see how it goes.
Video proof:
(horrible i know but you get the point)
https://youtu.be/Uv99l-pLoFU