Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 14 Nov 2018 07:11

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2012 14:19 

Hey all,

Just introducing myself (Nikko from the Cayman Islands) and my new found daily driver (my other car is a fairly modified Evo3) a 94 Mitsubishi Mirage. I got it on the cheap and it is in need of some all around TLC. It's got the usual mitsu roof rust, air con leak, needs paint, 4 dead shocks, a dead front wheel bearing, half dead throw out bearing, dead passenger window regulator and last but not least a disintegrated passenger side engine mount lol.

The only good things thus far is the full 2.5" exhaust (press bent but at least its something) and the fact that the Recaro's are a 5 out of 10.

Who says female owned cars are better?

All is not lost however!

I have gotten all new fluids ready for it, window regulator arriving from Jamaica next week, Evo 7 shocks and tein lowering springs (no idea on ride height), a new engine mount (currently filled with 3M 5200 marine adhesive and drying), some stock evo 3 roll stops and an OEM replacement exedy clutch on the way.

Next month is timing belt & water pump. Only other plans are to mod a 98 spec Integra Type R header to fit if i can find one other wise i will order an ebay replica, a stock Evo 3 throttle body, DIY CAI and clean up the exterior.

If anyone has a drivers side head light and a pair of tail lights pm me please!

I should have some before and after suspension pics up this weekend

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2012 00:10 

Welcome to the club.
Is it MIVEC?

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2012 02:07 

Thanks and yes it is :)

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2012 01:48 

you should put a lot afford for him...some day will be done

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2012 03:01 

not too much money going into this car....i have my Evo for that :lol:

I have robbed the cusco coil overs from my Evo 3 to put on it since i am upgrading the suspension on that.

It's getting an alignment and a new front wheel bearing today :)

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2012 14:53 

My new Exedy OEM clutch is here :) Plans are to install next weekend.

I got a window regulator for an Evo 3 which coincidentally does not fit at all. My sources are checking for the right one from Jamaica (unless anyone has a passenger side regulator they want to sell)

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2012 10:55 

well i made the Evo3 window regulator fit, changed out a bad passenger window switch and changed the clutch.

The clutch that was in there was an AP racing organic, unfortunately the pressure plate fingers were half worn through by the bad throw out bearing. I swapped out the shifter cable bushings for some 608 bearings since the bushings were crumbled as well. I swapped out the roll stop mounts for some Evo 3 ones and saw that the transmission mount is fubar'd so i have to dig up a spare evo 3 one i have some where and then it will be good to go.

Tomorrow i see if i can get my evaporator core repaired and then i will finally have A/C!

I have located a Mugen 26mm rear sway bar and plan to install that, re-enforcing the stock mounts.

Only other plans are to get a Toda style 4-2-1 header off ebay that's made for the Honda's, Evo 3 front brakes, EBC green stuff pads (cheap), braided brake and clutch lines and trade wheels with someone.

At some point i will do the bushings but for now the car is 10 times better than what it was when i got it aside from the asthetics

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012 13:21 

a few pics

I changed the transmission mount out to a filled Evo3 one (the bracket doesn't fit, just the bushing/mount)

Tomorrow the AC gets recharged and that will be it for a while :)

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2012 13:56 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/ ... BFC553.jpg

Mugen EK civic 26mm rear sway bar and end links. Also some 3/4" angle iron to weld onto the stock sway bar mounts.

Might get a chance to weld everything up this weekend :)

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012 11:29 

sway bar is on :) very worth while modification

Next on the list is to sort a mysterious clicking noise on the passenger rear wheel when braking.

If the Evo 3 rear brakes bolt up (aside from re-drilling the rotors)then i may just put the set i have laying around on.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2012 06:51 

:D

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2012 23:39 

Was the Mugen bar a direct fit?

Are your rear brakes the 260mm ones? I thought Evo III also had 260mm rear brakes, just 4X114 stud pattern

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2012 01:52 

i will check about the brakes, i think it's the rotors that may be bad or something stuck in the pads that's clicking under braking. If the Evo 3 calipers bolt up then that saves me the trouble of sourcing new ones since I have some Evo 4 rear brakes to swap on to my 3

I had to do some welding to get the sway bar on. The mounts for it (where the bushings go) were welded as close to the edge of the frame above the lower control arm mount. I added some re-enforcement to the mount so it was not just welded on one side.

I am not certain the mounts could be bolted in place where i have them and i know the bar would not use the factory sway bar mounts.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013 15:37 

Well over a year later....figured I should post an update :lol:

I ended up finding another 2 shells locally. I have procured one but it's almost as bad as mine. The other shell just has the typical roof rust but the rest of the body is straight and true. I will be picking up that shell next month hopefully and prepping it over the next year (seam weld etc).

The stock ecu took a dump so I have done an Evo 8 Ecu conversion on speed density with an AEM 2 Bar map sensor and GM IAT sensor. A summit racing RPM switch is being used to activate the MIVEC at 5200rpm. In preparation I reflanged a DC sports ITR replica header with a 65mm cat delete and a 5Zigen Fireball 60mm exhaust all to mount an AEM wideband sensor to log the AFR's.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/ ... 1d2c96.png
The tuner managed to eek 138whp out of the car (virtual dyno numbers) with that setup.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/ ... ac60d0.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/ ... 4ad320.jpg
I snagged a Cusco 1way LSD off yahoo japan for a good price and popped that in, to help things out further in the grip department a set of 15x7 Kosei K4R wheels at 10.7lbs each shod in 225/40R15 Toyo R1R's were bolted on. The grip from these 2 modifications are just phenomenal. (Yes I am aware the car looks like shit :lol: function > fashion for me)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/ ... 236be8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/ ... a278fb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/ ... 76106f.jpg
Keeping with the yahoo japan auction trawling theme I came upon a set of Jun stage 1 cams for half what they go for new (check the ramp rate on the big lobe!). I ordered some VMS cam gears from ebay and Jun valve springs from rhdjapan.com to go with the cams. They have been sitting in the shed for a few months until I worked up the ambition to install them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/ ... baa226.jpg
As fate would have it the car kept overheating so last weekend I finally bit the bullet and pulled the motor. 5 out of the 8 freeze plugs and the rear water pipe had a pin hole leak. The water pipe was patched with some fresh sheet metal and the freeze plugs are being replaced this weekend. This gave me a chance to install the Jun valve springs and resurface the cylinder head along with degreasing everything and resealing the oil pan

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/ ... 0daeb4.jpg
To help out in the HP department I cut up the stock intake manifold and a civic type r manifold to combine the 2. I will be porting the section where they are joined this weekend as well.

A mil spec wiring harness from Wire-Worx is being put together for me as we speak. All this is in preparation for our first autocross being held on a section of public road and not down in an industrial estate. This is a personal dream come true so the car has to be in top shape for this event!

Goals are to hit 160whp and 105wtq with this setup. I plan to put together a budget 1.9L bottom end for it next year to reach my ultimate goal of 200whp. I have a very well prepped EG hatch as my rival so I need to have all things in place to beat him!

PS sorry for the images just being links...forum has limit of 769pixels high and well....ain't no boy got time fo dat

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2013 09:51 
Administrator

Well, I like how it looks. There's something feral about it...