Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 24 May 2018 05:41

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2013 17:18 

back in September 2009 my previous ride a 1981 honda accord ex was dying the kind that would see people behind you in the drive through at maccas choke on engine oil smoke when you hit the accelerator.
so the hunt for a new car began i trolled car sale for weeks in search of something manual rwd and fairly cheap. until i started to come to the notion that anything i was interested in was either to expensive or beat to hell. then i noticed a nice little blue lancer coupe right in my price range went to the dealer took it for a test drive sat down ready to put pen to paper and then the typical dealer thing of extras started and the cheap car i found went way above budget and me and my father walked out this was a blessing in disguise as that car was a beater.
then i found this on ebay

a quick phone call revealed the sellers asking price and a small snag the car didn't run and was on the written off vehicle register.
nevertheless we went and looked at it and esthetically it was the tidiest example i had seen so we bought it and that same weekend i forked out the same again for a twin in red to use as spare part this turned out to be in vain as they were 2 different base model with essentially no interchangeable engine parts (the parts i needed) a quick wrcker raid soon turned up the bits to turn the car over and after a few hour of clearing the bores of water new spark plug and leads along with an air filter and ecu had the car running.

another 3 weeks waiting on the wovr inspection and i had my car. registered on the same day i buried my uncle(relevance will become apparent)

it stayed in the same guise for above a week when from that twin i took the rims

which still adorn the car

in January of 2010 i took a trip to Malaysia home of proton (fun fact proton bought the lancer's tooling and made the proton putra aka proton m21 in aus) this enables the sourcing of a few choice parts like these

custom split hi low projector style headlight with bmw style ccfl angel eyes.

while i was over in Malaysia i also had a family friend working on something special

a full center piece for my hood while i didn't think it at the time it bears some meaning the dragon represents my birth year in the Chinese zodiac the color of the dragon the element of the year and the skull the passing of my uncle and grandmother who's deaths and funerals were a day apart.

this was enough for a little while until in September of 2010 a turbo charged engine loom and ecu came up cheap at $330
and so it begun the transformation from show to go.

Post subject: Re: my awd cc coupe
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2013 17:19 

the engine build would take most of 2011 the process of gathering and sourcing parts while on a very very tight budget proved challenging but by trolling the make specific forums such as evocoupe.net and 4gtuner.com along with ebay and carmate.com.au (online Australian body-kit distributor) came up with most everything i needed

the following is what was sourced to rebuild the engine to stock specifications
td04l turbocharger (stock gsr unit) $100
full gasket kit
head bolts
rings
bearing (big ends, mains and thrust face)
water pump
thermostat
^^^ $1500 package deal at autobarn (get to know your local guys as trade prices are awesome!)
eBay inter-cooler universal kit $250
carmate tr style front bar $1500incl modification and fitting by panel beater
exhaust system $800 (right price exhaust slacks creek)
gauge cluster $150
clutch $250
head rebuild and service crack tested etc $380 (Gilberts head services Margarete street)
misc consumables

while i was at it and reading mod rules i bought proton satria xli front and rear brakes and hubs these ditch the rear drums of the lancer for 260mm disks and upsize the fronts to 256mm and maintain the std pcd stud patern of 4x100

(legal note when performing engine swaps in some state of australia equivelent braking system to that of the car the engine came out of may be required check with your engineer)

and for those here just for photos here you go

a bench of engine parts

pistons and rods (it's no wonder why 4g93t's are know for snapping rods)

cams and crank

the block after a hone

the head before rebuild and service

pre lift of old motor

out with the old

the best time to clean your engine bay

in with the new

you may also notice that the are strut bars in place after the motor went in mid build i went back to malaysia and got you guessed it more proton parts! ultraracing 2 point strut bar for proton putra(m21)/satria/wira (can be found using evo 3 as a key term http://www.ultraracingaustralia.com.au/ for licensed aus distributor) i also have the rear 2 point i also suggest getting the 3 point fender bars that go under the front guard i currently dont but will soon

how it sat after engine conversion

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2013 17:20 

around january 2012 a wrecked lancer gsr came up for sale the vehicle had essentially been stripped of all parts it was quite literally a bare shell with one wheel a dif a fuel tank and a tail shaft. it had been involved in a front end collision and as a result had the rad support pannels cut out and part of the chassis cut of behind the front right strut. despite the car not being on the wovr it was bound for the scrap heap and at $300 i considered it a bargain. and almost missed out on it entirely as interest from other qld members was hot infact even interstaters wanted in on the action. after a short session of convincing the folks to let me buy and store this wreck they reluctantly agree and i had my cousin helping me out by borrowing his Ute and a car tailor. i cannibalized one of my chrome rims as they were multistud and would fit on the car making moving it slightly easier.

then i got it home. my mother wanted this peice of scrap outa the way and fast so i got stuck in. first i turned the car( if you could call it that) on its roof

and started unbolting the diff, fuel tank, struts etc anything that i thought might be different to the coupe. ( i almost didn't take the fuel filler neck but im glad i did they're different.)

i then began the 3 day long task yes 3 days of drilling out the spot welds on the floor pan. rear diff hanger and most anything else that stood in my way after many many holes and almost as many drill bits it was time to cut a process that chewed up 4 cutting disks. after i completed this the shell was promptly and dutifully sent to the scrap metal pile completely striped of all parts of worth and only half the car it once was. almost a year passed while i sources the remaining part mostly from the front end.

in order to run all wheel drive in a coupe you need the k frame (i was lucky to get this with the shell as a chucked in extra) along with the north south cross member awd gearbox awd flywheel(if you don't already have it attached to your motor they are different to the fwd ones) and transfer case. i also need a fuel pump another clutch front hubs to match the rears PCD which changes from 4x100 to 4x114.3. in September of 2012 i was set to head back overseas to Singapore and Thailand so 5 weeks prior to the trip the car was pulled off the road.

the front end parts
the above has the gearbox n/s crossmember transfer gearbox and drive shafts along with the new power steering rack

front hubs

in this time the engine was pulled out and some oil leaks addressed (almost i pinched an oring reinstalling a part cranked the engine over and poured about 1.5l of oil all over the workshop floor face palm.) and other parts like a aftermarket s2.5 inch stainless dump pipe were installed. then the car was sent to the panel beater to have him complete the work while i was away, this turned out to be a waste of time and a major headache.

as 2 days before i was due to fly home expecting to find my car with a rear diff and engineer certified awaiting only the tail shaft being shortened i get an email from said engineer that the work had not been started and that supposedly qld transport would not allow such a mod. so after i return home i get the low down and am informed that i need to fill out form f1854 application for approval to modify. so i dutifully go ahead and fill out the form and collect the specs sheets. raid the forums previously mentioned for info from previous build of which i could find 18 in Australia none of which were in qld which makes this coupe the first and only known to the community. and supply a brief on the work to be carried out.

2 weeks later i get a phone call which went alittle like this
qld T: hello we are cancelling your application for approval to modify because a mod plate you already have contains the wrong code for the engine conversion you will have to reapply through your engineer to have this plate removed and have the engine work re-certified only your engineer can do this it's illegal for you to remove the old mod plate and we request that you waint until nov 1 when the ncop takes effect"

so i go ahead and enlist my engineers help. 5 months pass and things really start to stagnate so i take matter into my own hands calling vehicle standards and regulation only to get the usual government bureaucracy and mixed answers this time i am told i only need to apply for the plate to be removed and that the engineer could certify and plate all the work without the from f1854 being processed as it is obsolete so i get back onto my engineer and basically get fobbed off. so once again i take things in hand. and go speak to a freind of our in the industry who points me to classics and chrome who have a shop just down the road from them.

i speak to the guy there and they were realy interested in the project after a 30minute discussion an agreement was made to come look at the car get a quote and go from there this was january 31. i get the call at 4pm that they're on their way and to meet them at my workshop they check over the car and issue a quote for $3500 to complete all the work and have it certified. at this i was stoked and informed them i would have the car on a flatbed and at their shop a soon as they had room well they had it and 2 days later the car was at their shop

these are some photos from February 2
down off the stands

i can't move so tow me

just alittle out of the boot please doctor

work began on the installation of parts on the monday and i visited on tuesday
this is how the car looked

this is a photo from underneath looking up at the roof (yes that is the workshop ceiling you can see)

from the back looking forward that silver sheet is where the rear seat should be

those are the only photo i took but don't fret here's the photos that rick from classics and chrome took

floor out

removing excess metal

sectioned chasis rail (inside is where the captive nut plates are) most people cut open the top and weld the plate in rick decided using part of the rail they were originally welded to and fusing that with the coupe would be stronger (he's the pro and done it many times before in old classics with terminal chassis rust)
mmm clean welds

setting the new floor in place

getting tacked down

prime the captive nut rail sections and goupe along the floor cut.

paint the work inside and out

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2013 17:22 

now i'm in the process of collecting bits and bobs for a second engine rebuild this time with mivec forged rods turbo and standalone ecu

the reason behind this the current engine likes to eat harmonic balancers

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2013 10:08 

looking good!

Good luck with the rebuild 8)

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2014 23:32 

so i thought it about time to update this thread with why im here
but first here some info on it
4g92 mivec head
4g93 sohc block
spool forged rods
cp/spool forged piston 20 thou over (81.5mm)
balanced and blueprinted bootom end
evo 3 td05 16g turbo
510cc evo injectors
currently not running the mivec (ran out of money for the ecu) so it's running an evo 3 ecu and afm atm

photo dump incomming
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/ ... 664aa4.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/ ... 6113ef.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/ ... 60c5e2.jpg

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2014 19:31 

updates

so the funds situation has be rectified so here comes the power potential of this car

so fun times to be had vary soon

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2014 10:44 

nice work, really looking forward to seeing your results :)

i too have just bought a flex fuel sensor and going down that route. took me ages to find a plug that would work with the sensor but got there in the end.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2014 16:52 

so sophie got tuned today well sorta she was being a bitch. i have a spark issue dial in more timing and she make gobs of power but pings like a mofo pull enough out so it doesn't ping and she misfires. regardless we managed 160AWKW at 7000rpm. there is more in it!.

so list is now 4x ls1 coils (fun!)
new leads to suit (probably custom)
get to and check the cat for blockages (4psi of pressure pre cat at the dump pipe)

mivec is now on and kicks in at 4700 no exhaust note change that i can tell
pink line on the chart is the old fwd dyno pull ass you can see more power the whole way up!

the drive home was great power deliver seems so smooth the miss on the dyno doesn't seem present (i can actually boot it now this could get me in trouble)

this is not the end

i'm gonna drive it for a while as is and yes hit the track. get those coils different fuel (bp instead of caltex i don't beleive it make any difference but hey if it helps i'll be a convert) get the cat looked at (it could well be an issue presure test says no issue but hey can't hurt)

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2015 00:30 

so update another tune netted more power down low but only 10 maybe 20kw up top. don't think the mivec cams like playing ball with the turbo. the first tune had boost creep so at the track would hit the cut and kill all the fun no drop in the PB of 13.6 although it acheived that with a lower trap speed so it is quicker

heres the new tune

wheter permitting i'll take it to the track tomorrow